Today’s Deals on our Top Pick
Learning an instrument is one of the most formative activities you could ever give to your child. Not only will you be able to give them the music skills, but your child will also gain a creative output – a place where they can fully express themselves.
Learning an instrument can also teach them a lot about self-discipline and hard work.
Just like adults, kids will also have personal preferences when it comes to music. It’s not a surprise if you find out that your child enjoys heavy metal or rock.
Why not give them a chance to learn something new while enjoying their type of music as well?
Give your child the opportunity to discover their talents and they might just grow up to become their generation’s guitar legends.
Start their journey right with a guitar that can help them grow musically.
On this post, we’ll show you our top choices for the best electric guitars for kids.
Here are our top picks for the best electric guitars for kids
- ¾ Body size and 22.75” Scale Length
- Maple neck with "C"-Shaped profile and 20-fret rosewood Fingerboard
There’s a lot to love about this Mini Strat guitar from Squier. Sure, it may look cute and adorable, but this electric guitar could be a beast. Made by one of the most trusted brand names for guitars, this mini version of a Bullet Strat does not fall behind in quality.
What I like best about this guitar is the fact that its neck and fretboard has the Squier standards. It’s comfortable to play and easy on the hands, making it one of the best choices for younger learners and their small hands.
- An affordable guitar with a set that has it all
- Amp, cable, tuner, strap, and picks
- Instructional DVD and polishing cloth included for guitar maintenance
- Comfortable to play with
- Ultra-lightweight Built for easy playability
- Guitar strings may go out of tune easily but can be easily replaced with newer strings
- Has a slight buzz The amp could be better in quality
- Not a guitar to advance your skills with
As we all know, Yamaha is best known for their beginner-friendly options. It’s no surprise that their guitars are well-built for younger beginners as well. The Yamaha Gigmaker has all the qualities of a good entry-level guitar for kids.
This guitar holds a tune well enough, it’s built for easy playability, and best of all, it even has a tremolo bridge system just like any other full-scale Yamaha.
I also appreciate that this deal comes with fun and exciting accessories. It comes with an amplifier, a gig bag, a tremolo bar, a tuner, cables, straps, guitar strings, and picks. Plus, it also has an instructional DVD – a must for young learners of the electric guitar.
- Good quality well-made guitar
- Does not look like a toy
- Comes with a whole package of accessories along with the guitar
- Can be tuned easily
- Great for beginners learning how to tune their guitars
- Amp does not sound great
- Compromising the sound of the guitar
- Built for practice purposes
- Not a guitar to advance your skills with
- Full Scale Black Electric Guitar with Maple Neck
- Humbucker Pickup For Rock Sound
Yes, the price might seem suspicious but as we like to say, never judge a guitar based on its price tag. There are plenty of reasons why your kid should start with a Davison electric guitar. For one, it is made with considerably high-quality materials – even if it is a guitar that’s made for kids and younger learners.
You get the most value out of your money with this Davison because you get the same standards as a full-scale guitar. It has a wonderful fretboard that’s great for small hands and comes in a comfortable shape that beginners will love. But what won me over was the humbucker pickup on this guitar.
It’s got a good quality humbucker that was created specifically for that ultimate rock sound. So if you’ve got a kid who aspires to be a rock star, this is the guitar to buy for their birthday.
- Made with durable materials
- Has a great built with a beautiful finish
- Comes with a better guitar amp than the ones in other packages in this list
- Comes with a case strap
- Pitch pipe picks and a string winder cord
- A perfect set for beginners
- Tuners are a bit flimsy
- Disrupting the quality of sound
- Other accessories in the pack could be a lot better in quality
- Basswood Body, Maple Neck
- Maple Fretboard with Dot Inlays
If there’s a guitar for kids that think about style other than quality, it’s the Rise by Sawtooth electric guitar. It has a stunning design comparable to other guitars in the Rise by Sawtooth catalog – it definitely does not look like a toy, a good plus for any kid who wants to play like a pro.
This guitar also does not discriminate – it is available for both right handed and left handed players! But the best thing of all for me is the fact that this guitar is built to last. It is made of top grade materials, compared to other guitars for kids.
Personally, I want my kids to remember their first guitars and this guitar is definitely on my to-buy list. You don’t just want a guitar that looks timeless – you want one that doesn’t age too fast no matter how many years have passed, or how many times your kid played with it.
- Made of great quality materials comparable to higher-end brands at an affordable price
- Available in right handed and left handed
- Configurations in full size or 3/4 size scale to accommodate players of any size
- Also includes a lot of accessories that are great for beginners
- Portable amp, guitar strap, guitar cable, gig bag, pitch pipe, 3 pick sampler, and online lessons
- The price may have compromised the guitar’s craftsmanship quality
- Has a non-adjustable pole piece single humbucker
Begin your child’s musical journey with an electric guitar that promises superior quality. As they say, learning with a guitar that produces a better sound makes all the difference. The precision and stability of a Fender guitar can teach your kid how to identify a good-sounding tune.
Fender is also known for its craftsmanship so you can definitely expect top-notch craftsmanship – even if it’s just a guitar for kids.
- Made by a trusted brand
- Backed by a 1 year warranty
- Includes a 10 watt guitar amplifier
- Picks, cable, and strap
- Produces a Fender quality sound in a design that accommodates beginners
- One of the more expensive options in this list
- Sound quality on the amp may not meet expectations
- Made with a hardwood body and rosewood fretboard (22 frets)
- comes with a cable cord, convenient amp strap, guitar picks, and a mini amp (5 watt) that can be clipped on to your kid’s clothing
If you’re looking for a starter guitar that has practically everything your child might need, you might want to consider this Smartxchoices guitar. At a very affordable price, you get a well-made full-size guitar and a guitar bag. It also comes with a bag, a 5-watt guitar strap, guitar cable, additional strings, and 2 picks.
If the accessories don’t win you over, perhaps the guitar will. The 30” size is perfect for small hands to manage. It is made of hardwood and its fingerboard is in rosewood – the same material advanced-level guitars have.
- Comes with a lot of starter accessories
- A good size guitar for young children to play with
- No assembly required everything is prepared and ready to play
- Quality of the accessories could be better
- Intonation may need some work
- Full size black Rock Jam electric guitar with spare strings, guitar picks, and a strap
- 10 watt amplifier with headphone output with guitar connector cable
Looking for a guitar that could help your child learn some serious rock? This guitar might just be the trick. The RockJam RJEG02 comes in the iconic ST design with a high gloss finish that will make your child look like a pro.
Their attention to detail never fails to amaze me, even at this super affordable price. One thing’s for sure – the RJEG02 does not compromise on quality as it has great quality metal gear heads and a solid basswood body to generate a truly refined sound.
The starter package comes with a 10-watt amp, a gig bag, strap, lead, picks, and spare strings. But what I really enjoy about this guitar is its three single coil pickups and also its whammy bar – that will surely keep your kids busy as they advance their guitar skills
- Has great pickups and a whammy bar for versatile playing and string bending licks
- Comes with useful accessories for a starter guitar
- Purchase of this guitar includes two months of free lessons from “Take Lessons”
- Also comes at a bigger price
- COMPLETE GUITAR SET | Ultimate Starter Package Includes Full Size Guitar & All the Parts & Equipment They Need to Rock Straight Out the Box | Perfect Choice for Novice & Intermediate Players
- 39 INCH ELECTRIC GUITAR | Perfect for beginner and intermediate players Plug In Guitar Features High-Quality Materials Including Premium Rosewood Fingerboard, Canadian Maple Neck, Volume/Tone, S-S-S pickups, Knobs & More
If you’re on the hunt for a more professional-looking electric guitar starter kit, the LyxPro Complete Beginner Starter Kit has everything you need. This starter kit offers something bigger and perhaps better for the serious young learner.
Coming in at 39”, this full-size guitar is on the larger side compared to other guitars on this list. It is a durable 6-string guitar with a solid wood body, rosewood fingerboard, and a maple neck. It also has the S-S-S pickups, one-way tremolo, a pick-up switch, plus volume and tone controls.
But what really caught my eye here is the list of accessories that comes with this guitar. Included in the kit is a 20-watt amp – also bigger than other starter kits that have a 5 or 10-watt amp. It also has a digital clip-on tuner, 2 picks, shoulder strap, and a bag.
- A high-quality guitar with awesome professional features
- Comes with better quality accessories
- Including a 20-watt amp and a digital clip-on tuner
- A bit on the pricier side compared to other options on this list
- This classic single cutaway body shape is made of Linden and has a maple veneer.
- The bolt on neck is made of maple with a natural satin finish. The fingerboard is rosewood with dot inlays.
Interested in starting your child with a Gibson? Your dreams can come true with this Maestro by Gibson Electric Guitar. Because of its brand name, you can only expect this guitar to be no less than perfect. It has a classic single cutaway body shape made of Linden with a simple maple veneer.
The guitar also comes with chrome hardware, a wrap-around tailpiece with speed knobs and a humbucker pickup – truly a guitar made for a future guitar hero.
- Looks and feels as good as it sounds
- Perfect for a beginner
- Made by a well-trusted brand at a very inexpensive price
- Comes with accessories helpful for every beginner
- Amp could be in better quality
- The sound does not do the guitar any justice
- A bit pricey considering what other starter kits offer for a lower price
- Body: Basswood, Neck: Maple, Fingerboard: Rosewood,
- No.of Frets: 21, Pickup: 1 Humbucking, Control: 1 Volume & 1 Tone
Does your child love superheroes? Here’s a guitar that might just motivate him to become the next Hendrix. The Iron Man detail on this guitar is a fun addition that might just inspire your kid into the world of electric guitar.
If the design doesn’t win you over, this Peavy guitar also has some features that could make your child’s guitar experience less intimidating.
First, it comes in beautiful basswood, a maple neck, and a rosewood fingerboard. The guitar as 21 frets, 1 humbucker pickup, a volume control, and tone control – just like a lot of advanced guitars. The only difference is that this guitar’s form is designed for comfort and easy playability – a must for any beginner.
- Attractive and fun design detail
- Well-made with good quality materials
- Great for long hours of practice
- Considerably pricey
- It does not come with accessories like other starter kits for the same price
How To Choose The Best Electric Guitar for Kids
Having a kid who loves to rock is a blessing. Whether they are training to become the next guitar legend, or if they just simply enjoy the music, it is crucial for parents to choose the right guitar.
The best kids electric guitar should motivate them to practice and perfect their skills. That said, their electric guitars should not just sound great, but it should also feel great.
As we all know, it’s harder for kids to focus – especially when they’re so excited about something. Set them in the right direction by picking a guitar that catches their eye.
What may be beautiful to you might not be similar to their personal preferences. Another tip is to consider the comfortability and the playability of the guitar.
Pay attention to guitar sizes and allow your child to try it out and let them tell you what feels right for them.
Lastly, it would be great if the guitar of their choice came with all the cool accessories. Make sure that they are indeed helpful in their practice and if not, the most important thing is that they start learning with a guitar.
Is It Better to Learn Electric or Acoustic Guitar First?
The answer to this question really depends on the child’s goal and your budget. Typically, acoustic guitars are easy to setup and children can immediately start practicing. On the other hand, electric guitar requires a bit of setup first before your child can start playing.
If you think your child wants to learn the acoustic guitar, check out our best recommended acoustic guitars for kids.
How About Amps?
Some of the guitars listed here already have pre-bundled amplifiers included. However, if you opt for an electric guitar only, and wants to buy a separate amplifier, we’d recommend Fender Champion 20 Amplifier, which is a really good practice amp for beginners. Or you can check out our full list of beginner amps here.
What is the best electric guitar for kids?
The best electric guitar for kids is the Squier by Fender Mini Strat. The ¾ body size, 22.75” scale Length, and the “C”-shaped profile neck specs are just enough for any beginner kids to play comfortably. It’s a good guitar for kids ages 6 and up.
First of all, it’s a Fender. And second of all, it has all the good quality features needed to be a mini Hendrix. Plus, mom and dad’s pockets won’t be empty after purchasing. Everybody wins and everyone’s happy.
GET IT NOW ON AMAZON
Today’s Deals on our Top Pick