OUR #1 RATED BEST STUDIO HEADPHONE FOR RECORDING
Whether you are a singer, a dubber, or you do any work related to studio recording, you should know the importance of headphones. And I know you are here, reading this article because you are interested to know the best studio headphones for recording you might check to buy.
What are Headphones?
Headphones are devices that can be plugged into a device such as a laptop, smartphones, mp3 players, and other devices that produce sounds. The main purpose of using headphones is to listen to audios without disturbing anyone nearby. You just have to connect your headphones to the musical devices and then play the sound you want to listen to.
Headphones are also known as earphones or depending on the style, sometimes they are also called as earbuds. Nowadays, headphones technically expand its limitations in a more convenient way. In fact, modern-day headphones can be either wireless or wired, sometimes can be connected through WiFi and some through BlueTooth.
Headphones are designed in contrast to loudspeakers that produce a sound that can be heard by anyone in the area. Unlike speakers, headphones offer a more private listening concept. First created in 1910 by the U.S. Navy, early headphones were simple and were used as an earpiece device without complicated electronics.
Headphones Buying Guide
Are you planning to buy a new set of headphones? As time goes by, buying headphones for recording are becoming crucial and crucial especially now that there seem to be more headphone manufacturers than ever.
To help you with your buying struggle, here is a guide for you to follow to purchase the best headphones for recording that will give you more than you deserve. Get your pen and paper and let us start jotting down.
Wired or Wireless
Wired headphones are the traditional style of the device which requires users to plug it in the musical tool. The length of the wire depends on the manufacturer of the headphones. Today, there are headphone companies that are selling two to three meters. However, this depends on your need.
Wireless headphones come in a wide variety of styles and form factors from over-ear to on-ear to in-ear. This kind of earphones is great for outdoor activities such as sports since they don’t require you to connect to a music player like wired. Instead, wireless technology connects the headphones to your music player, giving you easier movement and fewer muddles.
Features to Look For
This is, obviously, the very first thing you might want to check when buying a new set of headphones for recording. There are headsets that are cheaper than usual, maybe because they do not have the features that you are looking for.
Look for a headset that is compatible with your device or gadget. This is essential since the reason why you are buying the tool is for you to use it. Your money will be wasted if the headset is not compatible with the device you will use.
If you prefer a wireless headset, you might want to consider the battery life of the headphones. Since it is wireless and no plugged-in process needed, you might have to recharge it as time goes by. If you are going to use the headphones for a recording of at least a whole day, then find a better headset that can perform this task. Do not settle with a headset that has a low battery life if you will always need it.
Since your main purpose is to use the new headset for recordings, it has to be especially good in reducing noise on the background. However, do not expect that much if you have a limited budget, a right bass effect is enough.
Of course, if you are the one to use the headphones for recording, you better try it at once to know if it will fit you. There are several styles and sizes you can choose from. From over-ear to on-ear and more.
5 Best Studio Headphones for Recording
Buying a headphone is kind of difficult especially if you are picky and you have a tight budget. Especially if you are using your headphones for work, it is necessary to have a good one.
- Dynamic, closed-ear headphones.Weight w/o cable: 285 g. Ear coupling is circumaural
- Lightweight and comfortable, ergonomic design, Cord Length - 3.3 - 9.8 feet Coiled
- Extended frequency response and warm, natural sound reproduction. Nominal impedance - 64 Ω.Sound pressure level (SPL)- 113 dB
- Around-the-ear design with padded ear cups - Dynamic, closed-ear headphones with up to 32 dB attenuation of outside sound
- Ear pads, headband padding, and audio cord are easily replaceable, ensuring long life
There is nothing elegant or glamorous, but the quality is one of a kind especially its dynamic, closed-ear headphones itself. Aside from that, it is lightweight and comfortable to use, thanks to its ergonomic design. Its cord length is 3.3 to 9.8 feet coiled with impedance ensures universal compatibility,
The around-the-ear design with padded ear cups makes Sennheiser HD280PRO very awesome to use. In addition, it has an extended frequency response and warm, natural sound reproduction, thanks to the closed-ear headphones with up to 32 dB attenuation of outside sound. To ensure long life, the headband is padded with soft material and there are built-in ear pads.
- Produces dynamic sound
- With built-in ear pads
- High notes are sometimes muted
- Neodymium magnets and 40mm drivers for powerful, detailed sound
- Closed-ear design provides comfort and outstanding reduction of external noises
- 9.8-foot cord ends in gold-plated plug and it is not deatachable; 1/4-inch adapter included
- Folds up for storage or travel in provided soft case
- Frequency Response: 10Hz - 20 kHz
Sony is a very well-known company that produces nice smartphones and appliances, this company is also one of the reputable firms that produce good accessories such as headphones. And one of the wired headphones they bost is the MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone.
This tool made up of neodymium magnets and 40mm drivers for powerful, detailed sound. It features a closed-ear design that provides comfort and outstanding reduction of external noises. The cord can be extended up to 9.8-foot while the frequency response is 10Hz to 20 kHz.
One of the most unique features of this Sony headphones is that it can be folded and put inside the soft pouch. This is best for recordings that require travel. This large diaphragm, foldable headphones feature a rugged construction, a secure, highly effective closed-ear design.
- Good for travel
- Not good for small ears
- Dynamic closed back headphones with closed back drivers
- Straight stereo 1/8" (3.5 mm) gold-plated with screw-on 1/4" (6.3 mm) gold-plated adapter
- IncrediFlex padded, fully adjustable headband; foldable for storage
- Environmentally responsible natural passive isolation - no batteries required
Direct Sound created this headphone for one special goal: provide maximum Sound Isolation. This simple yet elegant design provides great dynamic sound, thanks to the closed-back headphones with closed back drivers. Unlike other headphones for recordings, this device doesn’t require batteries. Straight stereo 1/8″ (3.5 mm) gold-plated with screw-on 1/4″ (6.3 mm) gold-plated adapter.
The overall structure of the DS EX-29 is covered with an IncrediFlex pad with fully adjustable headband and can be foldable for storage. Just like the Sony MDR7506, this headphone is not just good for recordings but for travel and outdoor activities as well. You can choose black and white for this lightweight design for long listening sessions.
- Incredible sound isolation
- Two color choices
- No pouch included
- Closed over-ear headphones for professional mixing in the studio
- Perfect for studio recordings thanks to their pure and high-resolution sound
- The soft, circumaural and repalceable velour ear pads ensure high wearing comfort
- Hard-wearing, durable and robust workmanship Made in Germany
- Practical single-sided cable (3.0m coiled cable)
Luxury features in affordable price – the best description for this headphone of recording. With the choice of either black or gray, the soft, circumaural and replaceable velour ear pads of Beyerdynamic’s product ensures every user the comfort while listening. Aside from that, it has only one-sided cable so it will really give you convenience.
Thanks to its pure and high-resolution sound feature, DT 770 PRO makes it to the list of good headphones for recordings. It has closed over-ear headphones, a must for professional mixing in the studio. All in all, this headphone is hard-wearing, durable and robust workmanship Made in Germany.
- FoldableTwo color choices
- Single cable only
- Comfortable to wear
- Ear pads not durable
- Possible for the cable to flake
- 40 mm neodymium drivers deliver superior acoustic performance for an expansive soundstage with clear, extended highs and warm bass
- Closed-back, circumaural design rests comfortably over the ears and reduces background noise. Ergonomic dual-frame, padded headband is lightweight and fully adjustable for hours of listening comfort
- Lightweight construction featuring aircraft-grade aluminum alloy yoke and carbon fiber cap for enhanced durability. Cable Length = 6 ft (1.8 m)
- Steel driver frame with vented center pole piece improves linearity and eliminates internal resonance for consistent performance at all listening levels
- Refer user manual for troubleshooting steps
For the record, this is the most expensive headphone in the list. If you do not care about the budget, then I suggest you buy this because its price really produces a high-end sound like no other. Its 40 mm neodymium drivers deliver superior acoustic performance for an expansive soundstage with clear, extended highs and warm bass.
Shure SRH1540 is lightweight even it has a closed-back, circumaural design that rests comfortably over the ears. Aside from its noise canceling feature, it also highlights ergonomic dual-frame, padded headband design. The cable length is 6 ft or 1.8 m. And to note, this headphone has detachable coiled and straight cables.
- Durable and lightweight
- Has a long cable
- Noise canceling feature
- Not good for beginners
If you have a lot of budgets and the sky is the limit in terms of money, then you might want to purchase the Shure SRH1540. It has very high features and it is great to use since its lightweight and comfortable. When you buy this, you’ll get additional cable, replacement ear pads, and a zippered storage case for years of listening enjoyment.
However, if you are in a tight budget, then you might want to have other headphones for recordings. Try the MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm, Sony’s one of the most elegant and dynamic headphones for recordings. These headphones might not be the best for enjoying your music, but surely, there’s a reason these are a standard when it comes to audio production and mixing.