Planning on getting a cool DJ controller to start your journey to create music in clubs and the like? Start mixing music with the best DJ controllers for beginners first if you’re not sure where to start yet!
To learn more about it, then read on as I show you this helpful purchasing guide.
How to Choose the Right DJ Controller
When selecting a turntable here are the important factors to consider:
Type of Drive Motor
There are two types of drive motors:
Direct-drive turntable have the motor under the platter’s center, connected directly for higher torque and lower flutter. This is the better choice if you have the extra bucks to spend.
Belt-drive turntables have the motor off-center, connected to the platter from a rubber belt. These have lower torque with greater platter speed fluctuations.
The higher the torque, the better the platter accelerates to the speed when pressing start. It won’t slow down as you hold a record still, which helps in putting control to your music and sounds. The recommended torque is about 1.5 kgf cm.
Pitch Control Slider
The pitch control slider must be smooth and quick to respond to the adjustments made. Other features you may want include the adjustable pitch range, master tempo, reverse, as well as the adjustable torque and BPM counter for more versatility.
5 Best DJ Controllers For Beginners (2019 Reviews)
Here are the top choices of beginner DJ controllers to choose from today:
- Intuitive layout, all of the features were designed to be where you need them, when you need them
- Add scratch effects to cued and currently playing songs without a turntable thanks to Pad Scratch
- Mixing is Seamless with the FX Fade feature. 5 inch durable aluminium jog wheel. Weight-4.6 pounds
- Constructed from premium materials and audio circuitry
- Large, low-latency jog wheels to give you great scratch response and accuracy
Pioneer comes from the excellent quality made from the reputable brand, with the DDJ-SB3 DJ controller being a good product. I appreciate its intuitive layout, which is very easy to memorize and understand as a beginner. That way, it will be a reflex as you learn how to mix and produce music.
It comes with all the features you need to begin producing music, including the scratch effects and seamless mixing. Constructed with durability and usability in mind, this is made for beginners to professionals.
- It has the understandable layout for easy playability
- Has the smart layout with good weight and grip ridges to handle well
- Solid build quality for beginners to professionals to use
- Pitch sliders ar a bit short ranged
- Faders a bit too light
- Portable two-channel DJ controller for Serato DJ Lite (included)
- Control the music with play, jog wheels and fader
- Built-in audio card with headphone cueing to create the perfect mix
- Song navigation and channel and master gain control
- Perfect for performing or prepping your DJ set playlist and cue points
If you want something that’s portable and easy to bring along and use wherever you go, you’ll like the Numark DJ2GO2 Pocket DJ Controller. This product is made of the two-channel body and lightweight properties that make it easy to take and use, whether you’re a beginner or pro.
It has the built-in sounds and compatibility, as well as the mix control and audio interface for recording music on-the-go or at home. And though it has the small body, it has the extra features to control music the way you want it.
- Small and lightweight
- Can be used on-the-go
- Fun for both beginners and professionals
- Has the decent sound quality and all necessary features in one
- It cas no mic input
- It comes with no split cue
- Usb Controller: Powered by USB connection to computer for home and aspiring DJs
- Sound Cord Sold Separately: Requires external audio interface for sound output to headphones and speakers
- VIRTUAL DJ LE: Software download included after free controller registration. Please refer the User Guide before use.
- Beat Matching: Long, 100mm pitch sliders to keep in perfect sync
- Pro Features: Touch-sensitive metal jog wheels, multi-function touchstrip, 16 backlit, rubber trigger pads, volume levels display
I love the Nimark Mixtrach Controller, made for beginners, either at home or for performances. It’s great for aspiring DJs because of the easy-to-understand interface and the software that’s easy to use and made for free when purchasing the controller
It also has the professional features users can take advantage of, from the smooth sliders down to the touch-sensitive wheels. With all that i mind plus the ease of use, you can get started with producing music now!
- Nothing fancy but with the needed features for awesome performances
- Looks professional with strong build
- Has a free and easy-to-understand software included
- Doesn’t have internal sound card
- Fader begins to bleed audio after a year or so of usage
- Bundled with the rekordbox dj license key, simply activate your license key for our DJ software, connect the controller and start DJing.
- Mix instinctively with the jog wheels, play/cue buttons, mixer knobs and faders, gain pots, VU meter and dedicated loop buttons built to mirror the rekordbox dj layout
- Create simple sequences then select and play them directly on the hardware using the Sequence Call button. Plus, trigger Hot Cues, Pad FX, Beat Jump and Slicer with 16 Performance Pads
- For flexibility, you can choose to hear your mix through your computer's internal speakers, connected desktop speakers, or play through a wireless speaker. At the same time, you can use your headphones to cue independently of the master out
The Pioneer DJ DDJ-RB Controller is best known not only for its reputable brand, but the portability! It’s bundled with the rekordbox DJ license key to gain access to all your music production needs, as well as the much-needed features even professionals highly appreciate.
You’re able to mix instinctively thanks to its understandable layout, which comes with various sequence calls and triggers, as well as the flexibility to use either speakers or your sounds. All in all, the easy-to-travel controller for beginners to use at home.
- Has an intro version and with free software for beginners
- Can play your music through your speakers or sound card
- Portable and easy to travel with
- Not the best for live performances
- Has no headphone mix control knob
- Two-channel, four-deck controller for Serato DJ Lite (free Serato DJ Pro upgrade included with purchase in U.S. only)
- Large platters with the lowest available latency, optimized for scratching
- Built-in drum kits from Roland's legendary TR-909, TR-808, TR-707, and TR-606, realized with advanced ACB (Analog Circuit Behavior) technology
- Eight sounds in each TR kit: Bass Drum, Snare Drum, Closed Hat, Open Hat, Tom, Rim, Clap, and Ride
- Onboard sequencer that controls Serato DJ's sampler for on-the-fly beat creation
You’ll be surprised with how much value the Roland DJ controller has for its budget! It’s lightweight and compact, easy to take wherever, and great to use for the house or in performances! I also highly appreciate its handles to bring it around with ease.
The entry-level controller packs a lot of features and offers the infinite control from your laptop. With its full sequencer and built-in drums, you’re able to learn a lot from this, spending hours producing music!
- Great size and weight
- Lightweight for ease of bringing around
- Professional quality with the sturdiness to last
- Gives you control over your sound with built-in drum machine and over output sound
- Has no booth output Limited sounds for now
- Still waiting for update
Wrapping It Up
Owning a DJ controller is crucial if you want to start taking your music seriously! After much research, the best DJ controller for beginners goes out to the Pioneer DJ DDJ-SB3 Controller.
With its good price, you get all the necessary features an aspiring DJ needs to start creating music efficiently! From the intuitive layout and seamless mixing, you get more than what you pay for and get adequate effects from the reputable company. It’s a worthy purchase for any DJ!
I hope this article on the best DJ controllers for beginners helped you out! So don’t wait any longer and check out any of these reviews now. If you have any questions or want to share your own experiences with these products, then comment below. I’d love to hear your reviews!