OUR #1 RATED BEST KIDS UKULELE
The moment your kid demands something, it’s every parents’ job to comply.
So, if your kid wants a ukulele, you must start searching for the best ukulele for kids.
Nothing is more amazing than a kid who wants to commit to something that could potentially unleash the inner musician in him. To give you a great head start, listed below are five of the best ukuleles for your kids.
5 Best Ukulele for Kids in 2020 (Parent’s Guide)
- The best entry level ukes on the market!
- Soprano Scale
Known for its versatility, the Kala MK-SS-GRN Makala Shark Soprano Ukulele is the best ukulele for kids. The good thing about this ukulele is that it’s not only built for beginners, but also adults can play it to.
Sold at a very affordable price, the MK-SS-GRN has a mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, Aquila strings, and agathis top. Complete with a clip-on digital chromatic tuner to keep it in tune, the MK-SS-GRN also has its bridge shaped like a shark.
Catching your child’s attention and keeping them committed is not a problem with its fun and quirky designs.
One excellent thing that sets the MK-SS-GRN from others is that it includes a starter kid, which is perfect for any beginner. Included in the purchase is a polishing cloth, DVD manual, and a gig bag.
- High quality gig bag
- Tuner is functional
- Fun design, perfect for both genders
- No peg for a neck strap
- Complete strater pack: Soprano ukulele, carrying bag, and Ukulele Bartt digital lesson download
- Canadian NuBone XB Bridge Saddle for enhanced low frequency bass response and resonance
Did you know that the word “Mahalo” means “Thanks” or “Gratitude”? With the Mahalo Rainbow Series Soprano Ukulele, you’ll really feel grateful once you purchase this for your kid. As one of the best ukulele for kids, the Mahalo Rainbow Series Soprano Ukulele will capture your kid’s heart, and more importantly, their attention.
Hailed as one of the top-selling model in the Rainbow Series, the MR1-TBR Package would be perfect for any kid that’s just starting out.
Introducing the Mahalo’s first introductory package, the MR1TBRPK is packed with a 45-minute lesson by Ukulele Bartt. This lesson has everything you need to know in learning how to play a ukulele for the first time.
The MR1TBR produces a rich tone with its Aquila strings, NuBone XB Bridge Saddles, and a trans-brown finish. Maintaining its tune is also kept by its very own dolphin-shaped geared tuners.
- Easy to play
- Additional accessories included
- Getting in tune takes time
- Kala’s KA-15S came into the world in 2005 as the answer to a high-quality, affordable, entry-level ukulele and still remains the unrivaled ukulele in its class.
- The KA-15S is well-suited for classroom use, practicing, and acoustic performance. It is the instrument of choice for schools - More people learn to play on a Kala than any other ukulele brand
With the same company as our number one choice, there’s no doubt that the Kala KA-15S Soprano Ukulele could also bring you entertainment. Make your kid’s pastime worthwhile by playing the KA-15S as it is one of the best ukulele for kids.
Producing a very pleasing sound that’s perfect for an afternoon chill at the beach or just in your living room, the KA-15S features a mahogany body, and walnut finger board.
Made for beginners, the KA-15S gives great playability with an even greater price. The KA-15S also owns high-quality tuning machines, GraphTech NuBone nut and saddle, and Aquila strings.
- Affordable price
- Great starter package
- Needs tuning from time to time
- Good Looking - The Ukulele is beautiful Purple Color with Eco-friendly paint
- High Quality - The Ukulele is generally made of high quality Basswood ,light body soft touch comfortable sounds
If you’re an environmentalist and love to preserve its resources even in the smallest way, honsing ukuleles are your go-to ukuleles. Created with eco-friendly materials without compensating its quality and price, the honsing soprano ukulele is your top choice among the best ukuleles for kids.
Available in different designs, honsing soprano ukuleles will surely keep your kid entertained. Made with high quality basewood and eco-friendly paint, you’ll be giving Mother Nature a favour.
Priced affordably, this soprano ukulele is made especially for beginners with its ABS bone nut, traditional rosewood bridge, and perfect string action.
Complete with a gig bag, the honsing soprano ukulele offers easy storage and transport.
- Nice sound
- Attractive design
- No extra accessories included
- A perfect uke for players who are looking for a beautiful sound at a tremendous value
- This Tattoo Tenor takes its design from traditional Hawaiian body ornamentation and inspiration from the Pacific Islands
This beautiful piece does not only target the very young audiences, but also those experienced players. This tenor beauty is inspired by a traditional Hawaiian ornamentation and the Pacific Islands. Last on our list is the Luna Tattoo Tenor Ukulele as the best ukulele for kids.
With a full mahogany construction, it is definite that the Luna Tattoo will produce a sound that will remind you of Hawaiian waters. Featuring a walnut fret board and bridge, the Luna Tattoo is complete with a natural satin finish. You’ll also notice its shark’s teeth fret markers.
- Richer and deeper sound
- Responsive and flexible
- Takes a long time to tune
- Relatively costlier
- About the sound: this ukulele is made of solid mahogany, which has a longer sustain compared to a laminated uke. This makes the sound warmer, cleaner and more pure. The tone of this ukulele will continue improving and progressively sound better as the wood ages. That’s one reason this is a great ukulele for a beginner.
- Stays in tune: This ukulele comes with an 18:1 premium tuner machine, pure copper gears and aquila strings, pre-tuned before shipping to help ensure the strings stretch out properly and stay in tune better upon arrival.
They say that a uke made of solid mahogany has a better quality compared to those made with laminated material. Laminated woods have their own advantages, but if you’re looking for a uke that produces a more pure sound, then one made of mahogany is the obvious choice.
The Aklot AKS21 is one such ukulele made with solid mahogany. Thanks to its high quality yet affordable material, this uke produces nothing but the warmest and cleanest sounds – a rarity among ukuleles within the $100 range.
Another great reason why you might want to get the Aklot AKS21 is the fact that its tone improves as the mahogany wood ages. So if you’re also on the hunt for something affordable yet long-standing, this is the uke to get.
But apart from its wood, I also love this ukulele because it stays in tune. Tuning guitars can be a daunting task especially for beginners but with a uke that does not require constant tuning, learners can then focus on playing the guitar.
The Aklot AKS21 comes with an 18:1 premium tuner machine, Aquila strings, and copper gears – basically everything that a beginner would need to improve his guitar playing skills.
- Sports a simple yet comfortable design
- Perfect for long hours of practice
- Made with mahogany wood that promises durability and excellent sound quality as it ages
- Stays in tune longer and comes with an 18:1 premium tuner machine
- Comes with a full set of accessories
- Gig bag and extra strings
- Professional assistance may be needed to replace its strings
- Users have reported a bit of buzz on the strings
- Now Shipping With Aquila Strings
- Graph Tech NUBONE XB Bridge Saddle
Who says you can’t enjoy fun designs with a cheaper ukulele? The Mahalo Ukulele has a wide range of rainbow colors to choose from, and its simple design is perfect for both younger learners and adults alike.
The dolphin-shaped tuners are also a fun and stylish addition, complementing the minimalistic design of its body.
The Mahalo Ukulele covers all the basics – it has a NuBone XB bridge saddle for better tone, and it also has the Aquila Nylgut strings for a guaranteed warm and bright sound.
But the number one reason why I would recommend the Mahalo Ukulele for beginners is the fact that purchasing the ukulele usually comes with a 45-minute downloadable lesson. These lessons are taught by Ukulele Bartt and it covers everything from tuning, musical vocabulary, chord voicing, and of course, proper playing technique.
In my opinion, this ukulele from Mahalo is a great option for beginners who want something simple and reliable. The downloadable lessons are also convenient for those who don’t have time to attend classes, or for those who simply want to get started right away.
- Comes in a wide variety of colors
- Simply choose your favorite color
- Sports a simple and classic design with fun details such as the dolphin-shaped tuner
- Comfortable to hold and easy to play with
- Includes downloadable lessons that cover all the basics
- Inconsistent quality and craftsmanship (depends on where the guitar was manufactured)
- Best entry level option but is not recommended for more advanced learning
- Soprano size
- Eastern mahogany construction
The brand Lanikai is known to many ukulele players across the globe. It is popular for its great quality and affordability.
But did you know that Lanikai ukes are manufactured by the German brand, Hohner? They are a reputable company known to produce some of the best musical instruments in the world today. That being said, the Lanikai ukuleles are definitely one of their best creations as well.
The Lanikai Kohala is a great option for beginners who want to explore soprano-sized ukuleles. It has an Eastern mahogany construction for a great tone and top-notch quality geared tuning machines that help keep your uke in tune.
But personally, I like this ukulele because it comes with tons of useful accessories that make learning fun and easy. If you’re looking for a great quality uke that comes with a complete package, then you need to get the Lanikai Kohala.
- Manufactured by Hohner
- A well-trusted brand for musical instruments
- Sports a simple design and made with high-quality materials
- Comes with many useful accessories such as a gig bag
- Clip-on tuner and polish cloth
- Quality of the frets and fretboard need improvement
- Accessories included are subpar in terms of quality
- Soprano ukulele with traditional shape produces a full-bodied sound
- Quick to learn with easy to play 3 chord chart
If you are focused on improving your ukulele playing skills, then the Diamon Head DU-150 is here to help you out. This soprano ukulele sports a traditional shape that allows it to produce that classic full-bodied sound. It comes with a sturdy maple body and neck, topped with a high gloss finish for durability.
But the reason why you should be getting this uke is the fact that learning how to play the ukulele is quick with this Diamond Head DU-150, thanks to its easy-to-play 3 chord chart.
Apart from this, this uke also comes with guitar style tuners that can help keep your uke in tune for longer. If you are a beginner who wants to learn how to play better, faster, then the Diamon Head DU-150 is your new best friend.
- Comes in a traditional shape that helps produce a fuller
- Richer sound
- Has an easy-to-play 3 chord chart
- A perfect addition for beginners
- Features guitar style tuners to help you stay in tune longer
- Included black gig bag needs improvement in terms of quality
- The quality of strings can be better
- AAA Grade Flame Maple Top
- Built-in piezo film undersaddle pickup.
The brand Epiphone has been manufacturing musical instruments for over 140 years. With a history that long, one can only expect the best in terms of quality from their instruments.
The Epiphone Les Paul acoustic/electric is one of their best ukulele creations yet and its affordable price tag makes it an even more attractive offer to ukulele players.
Although it is a bit pricier than what you can find around the $100 price range, it comes with plenty of premium features than many entry-level ukes don’t have.
First, it comes with an AAA Grade flame maple top and a built-in piezo film under saddle pickup. This assures an all-natural and accurate sound as it is routed to a durable 1/4-inch output jack. Just plug it into an amp and you’ll be shocked at how close you can get to a true acoustic tone.
- Made by a well-trusted brand with only the best quality materials
- Comes with high-quality components but with an affordable price tag
- Sounds perfect acoustically or through an amp
- One of the more expensive options on the list
Factors to Consider When Buying a Ukulele for Kids
Before thinking about ordering online or going to your local musical instruments shop, it’s important to know which type of ukulele and from which company you’re getting. This saves so much time and effort, compared to having an abrupt decision.
The first and most important thing parents need to know is that ukuleles have four types according to their sizes. It’s necessary for kids to play with a ukulele that’s in line with how big they are or their level of difficulty. It’s easier for kids to learn fast if they’re comfortable with what they’re playing.
The first type of a ukulele is the smallest, which is a soprano. Known to have a traditional ukulele size, a soprano ukulele normally is 21 inches long. Notice that majority of the best ukulele for kids on this list is a soprano type? Simply because it is the ideal type for kids that are just starting out.
Next size bigger than a soprano is the concert ukulele. With a size slightly bigger than a soprano, concert ukuleles produce louder sounds and has a slightly deeper tone. It usually has a size of 23 inches.
The third type is a tenor ukulele. With its size being 26 inches, tenor ukuleles are ideal for kids who have been playing a ukulele for quite some time.
So, if you’re planning on switching from the ukulele your kid originally owns, a tenor ukulele is your best bet. Tenor ukuleles give off a deeper sound and has a larger fingerboard.
Lastly, the largest type of a ukulele is the baritone. Since it’s the largest type, baritone ukuleles produce a deep bass sound, kind of similar to the sound of a guitar.
Now that that’s settled, you should have a glimpse of the best ukulele for your kid. After knowing which type of ukulele is the best one for your kid, let’s get to specifics. This time, let’s talk about how the best ukulele for kids is made.
Materials and quality
While your kid might have a say on which model to get and it’s easy to just get a plastic ukulele (which is easy to determine if it’s cheaply-made), the best ukulele for kids must have a high quality, even if it’s just a beginner ukulele.
To get a pleasing sound, just like a guitar’s, choose the one that’s constructed by a real wood. A solid wood construction is desirable for the best ukulele for kids. Some ukuleles have a laminated top, which is fine, too. It’s also ideal for beginners.
Check if it’s beginner-friendly
Compared to other instruments, playing a ukulele is easier to learn as it’s easier to focus on learning how to play it mainly because of its size. Your child won’t have to struggle with ways on how to comfortably play it with ease.
The best ukulele for kids are models that are designed for beginners. This way, kids will be familiar of the basic features of a ukulele the simplest way.
Ukuleles made for beginners usually have an extended fingerboard, which is helpful since it gives more space to place your kid’s fingers when playing chords. Another way to check if the potential ukulele for your kid is beginner-friendly is that its fretboard is marked with fret locations.
It goes without saying that kids can be easily attracted to things that are bombarded with different colors. With that being said, your kids might prefer ukuleles with attractive and colorful design.
And that’s okay, there’s nothing to worry about that as lots of manufacturing companies produce ukuleles that have eye-catching designs that will surely capture your kid’s undivided attention.
However, parents must never forget the sound it brings. So, balance it out. Pick something that has a pleasing and lively design, and produces an equally pleasing sound and tone, too.
Since we’re talking about the best ukulele for kids, the ideal choice for this is a beginner ukulele. Most of the time, prices range from $25-$60. Ukuleles that are made for beginners are usually more budget-friendly than models that are intermediate or high-end.
However, if your child gives a high level of commitment and really wants to develop his/her skills, you’re better off with a relatively costlier ukulele but nothing more than $100, of course.
One way to make your purchase worthwhile is to choose the one that is packed with necessary accessories. Examples of these are instruction manual, gig bags, or tuners. Sometimes, the best ukuleles for kids has added perks, other than the ukulele itself.
Check Out: Best Kids Guitars
In conclusion, the best ukulele for kids is the Kala MK-SS-GRN. Complete with fun design and features that are perfect for beginners, you won’t regret choosing this soprano ukulele.
Sized appropriately for kids, the MK-SS-GRN has a mahogany neck and agathis top. Made for your kid’s delight, this soprano ukulele comes with a clip-on digital tuner and Aquila strings.