In the world of classical guitars, $1000 can already get you one of the best in the market – something that will accompany you to the stage, through different recitals or just happily hang out with you at home.
So, today, let me help you out the search for the perfect instrument. I have put up together five of the best classical guitar under $1000, each product has been thoroughly researched and reviewed in a way that will help let you know of every detail.
If you want to find out which brands made it to the list then please keep on reading below.
How To Choose The Best Classical Guitar
Unlike electric guitars that come slim and pretty easy to handle for most people, classical guitar is much different. Each classical guitar comes in different sizes and shapes and there are so many you can choose from and the topmost factor you should consider is the comfort.
So make sure you only choose a size that will fit you well. If you are not comfortable accessing the bridge or the neck of the guitar, your talent will just be pointless. Take note as well that the guitar will be sitting on your lap for hours, you don’t want it to feel like it is a burden after a while; this will only demotivate you and dampen your spirit from playing.
Another thing you should check is the guitar’s hardware, it has to be on point. For instance, tuning machines can make or break the guitar’s performance, especially for classical one.
Your choice of guitar should be well-built and should be capable to maintain the key that you want.
Now, why is tonewood important? This is because it defines the guitar’s quality of tone which is even more emphasized when it comes to classical guitars. Since classical guitars are more naturally mellow, the tonewood should be able to give out warmer and more rounded tones.
Classical guitars with spruce and cedar tone wood are highly recommended.
Other factors you need to check when buying classical guitar under $1000
- Each fret of the guitar should sound properly
- Make sure that the strings are straight enough and are parallel to each other.
- The bridge or the saddle of the guitar should be sturdy enough not to get detached from the face of the guitar
- The guitar’s soundboard should be planed
5 Best Classical Guitars Under $1000 You Should Check Right Now
- Solid Canadian cedar top
- Solid mahogany back and sides
- Hand inlaid Mother-of-Pearl "Esteso" Rosette
- Rosewood fingerboard and Indian rosewood bridge
- Includes Cordoba Polyfoam case
This guitar will definitely give you good value of your money. This is among the Cordoba’s flagship models and belongs to the Luthier series. Cordoba C9 is made of solid Canadian cedar top while its back and sides use solid mahogany. Its rosewood fingerboard, on the other hand, comes in a C-shape mahogany neck while the binding and bridge are all made up of an Indian rosewood.
The guitar also looks very unique with the rosette that surrounds the soundhole. This design has been inspired by a 1920’s rosette designed by Domingo Esteso. Do you know that this rosette is decorated by hand using mother-of-pearl? Pretty fascinating, isn’t it?
Though this is a full-size 650 mm scale guitar with 52 mm nut width, I was impressed by how it is so lightweight that it is very easy to carry around. But what matters most is the amazing sound it produces. Since it is an all-solid guitar, it gives out this warm and well-rounded tone. Thanks to its responsive soundboard too, this guitar can also give you a louder tone.
- Produces an absolutely amazing sound quality suitable for concerts
- Made from solid wood yet it is lightweight
- Comes with a polyfoam case
- It doesn’t come with a built-in pickup
- Nylon strings with wider string spacing for classical players
- The SLG is the perfect instrument for practice, travel or stage use - any time an acoustic guitar just won't do.
- Near-silent performance makes discrete practice simple
- Yamaha's exclusive SRT-Powered pickup system gives incredibly natural acoustic tone through headphones or line-out
- Studio-quality on-board effects enhance your playing to perfectio and line-in functionality makes jamming easy
Now let’s take a look at this non-traditional but remarkable guitar from Yamaha, the SLG200NW Classical Silent Guitar. It has been named “silent guitar” since if it is not plugged in, it won’t basically make any sound at all. This is because this guitar does not have a body to cause any sound to resonate.
Isn’t this just great for late night practice sessions without keeping your toddler up or perhaps your angry neighbor? But of course, this doesn’t end here. This guitar is also just perfect as stage instrument since it is virtually feedback resistant.
And since this guitar is a product of Yamaha’s SRT-Powered pick-up system, we can be sure that it will emulate a true and natural acoustic tone. It also has a built-in studio quality effects to further boost your performance.
Overall, this guitar is an amazing choice for anyone who wants to practice quietly and of course, for those who will be performing on a loud stage.
- It’s true to its name of being a “silent guitar” making almost no noise when you are practice
- Has built-in effects and is feedback-proof on stage
- Features pick-up system to emulate the real and acoustic tone
- Has to be plugged to be able to use it as a performance instrument
- Solid Red Cedar Top w/ Rosewood Binding, High Gloss Natural Finish
- Mahogany Back & Sides
- Rosewood Fingerboard, Mahogany Neck, 650mm Radius
- Nickel Plated Machine Heads & D'Addario Strings
- Gig Bag Included
Alhambra is one of the most trusted brands, this Spanish company has been creating guitars ever since 1965. They pride themselves on having the best guitar in the world and the Alhambra 3C-CW-US Cutaway Series Guitar is no exception.
This guitar produces a genuine, classical Spanish tone that emanates sound as warm as the Spanish sun, thanks to its elegant, cedar wood. I also like that it comes in a cutaway style so it will just sit perfectly on your lap. Both the body and neck of this guitar are also easily reachable. So if you are one of those players having a hard time reaching the higher frets, this cutaway feature will help you.
Moreover, this guitar comes with a heavy-duty hard case that will keep your guitar safe and protected whenever you are not using it or when you have to carry it while you are traveling.
- It comes with a heavy-duty hard case so it is perfect for anyone who’s always on the move
- There’s an available model for left-handed people
- Warranty is included
- It can sometimes feel bulky
- Solid Indian rosewood top
- Indian rosewood back and sides
- Fishman Presys Blend electronics with onboard tuner
- 48mm nut width with comfortably curved 16" radiused fingerboard
- Includes Cordoba gig bag
Here’s another guitar from Cordoba! This guitar actually bridges the gap between acoustic and classical guitars. So if you are an acoustic player who wants to slowly transition to classical, then the Cordoba Fusion 14 Classical Guitar is definitely for you.
Since the guitar is built in with a neck of narrower width (48 mm), longer length (14 frets rather than 12) and curved fingerboard, it is more like of an acoustic guitar; though it comes with nylon strings just like every classical guitar.
Just like Alhambra 3C-CW-US, this guitar also features a cutaway body which only means that you will not have any trouble accessing the highest honest on the fingerboard. Fishman Presys Blend, which is an advanced electronics system, has also been fitted out to this guitar. This system is consist of a pickup as well an internal microphone which you can use to amplify the guitar through the ¼ – inch jack output.
Overall, this guitar is a smart choice for anyone who’s on the hunt for a hybrid between acoustic and a classical guitar.
- Fishman Presys Blend electronics has been built-in to the guitar
- Features cutaway body making it easier to play
- It has a narrower neck so acoustic players will have no trouble transitioning to classical
- It is not a real classical guitar
- Solid Cedar Top
- Two-Chambered Silver Leaf Body
- Custom Godin Dual Source System
- Mahogany Neck
- 1.9 Inch Nut
This guitar has been built with a less-resonant chamber system instead of being built with full body to resonate the instrument’s sound. This only means that this guitar is projected to be amplified. I must say this guitar has been greatly designed since it will be far more resistant to feedback whenever it is plugged in, making it an excellent choice for live performances.
Also, Godin Multiac Nylon Encore features a dual-source pickup made by EPM that will allow you to blend the sound both from the transducers at the soundboard as well as the pickup on the saddle. This is definitely the perfect instrument for live gigging.
- It comes in a sleek and stylish design
- It has an amazing sound quality
- You need to purchase an amplifier for this guitar for a much clearer and more audible music
So there you have it, the best classical guitar you can purchase under $1,000 budget. As we wrap things up, I’d like to suggest my recommendation for the number one guitar for this category and that is no other than the Cordoba C9 CD/MH Acoustic Nylon String Classical Guitar. This guitar stands out for being a beautiful classical guitar, just the perfect choice for anyone who’s looking for a traditional and elegant instrument without getting out of the budget.
How about you? Which among these guitars do you think would suit you best? Let me know your thought in the comments section below. I would love to hear from you.