Have you ever wanted to try playing the cello? These are interesting instruments that produced such peaceful, wondrous music, which is why I wanted to learn how to play it myself! But the hardest part about it was choosing among the best cellos for beginners.
If you feel the same way, then read on! I did my research and tests to help you make the wise decision.
How to Choose the Best Cellos For Beginners
As long as you’re knowledgeable about the different kinds of cellos, you won’t have trouble choosing one suitable for you. These are the crucial factors to know about when selecting one:
Size and Height
For beginners older than 12 years old, the full-size is made for you. Take note that the bigger the cello is, the more tone it produces.
Sound Quality and Responsiveness
Of course, you’ll want quality sound coming from your cello. It should have the responsiveness when used, as well as the excellent tone and projection. With beginner cellos, don’t expect the professional tone, but don’t scrimp and get one with lower-quality sounds.
Bow Quality and Weight
Your bow’s weight and quality can affect the sound and tone of your cello. That’s why you should also focus on the bow and other accessories, ensuring that it’s made of quality. The same goes for getting powerful strings for coherence in sound!
Check out this helpful video showing you more about the cello..
5 Best Cellos for Beginners in 2019
- New and high quality This set includes a cello, bag, bow, rosin and bridge
- 4/4 full size The bow is made from arbor and white horse tail
- The tailpiece is made from aluminium alloy The pegs, fingerboard are made from ebony
- The panel, head, back and sides of cello are made from high grade basswood
- Rosin is a free gift Padded soft bag with pockets and backpack straps
You’ll be surprised that for its price, the Lykos Acoustic Cello offers the quality sound and strings that make it a great first cello for beginners. This full-sized cello is made of the high-quality basswood, with the fingerboard and pegs made from ebony. The bow is made from the arbor and white horsetail, which is what helps with the crisp and rich tones.
To sweeten the deal, there is rosin included, as well as the soft bag and bridge. It performs well when played and many beginners will enjoy improving their skill as they go!
- Made of high-quality materials that help bring out the rich sound
- Affordable price with great value and necessary accessories
- Feels comfortable when used for beginners
- Some complaints with delivery
- Made best for practices
- Not performances
- An easy-to-play cello that will bring years of enjoyment to any cellist
- Warm and round tone, playability, hand-feel and consistency will keep you motivated
- A favorite among Suzuki and other private teachers, Beautiful and dependable
- This value-packed Cello outfit includes Cello, cello case, cello bow, prelude cello strings, and rosin etc.
- Hard-carved pegs, tailpiece and chinrest Beautiful wood, genuine ebony fingerboard and fittings
The D Z Strad Cello is quite an investment. Upon looking at the price, it will have you wonder if it’s really worth playing the cello for. However, if you’re sure of playing the cello for the long-term and want something to use even as you advance to intermediate levels, then this is a worthy purchase.
For its price, you get the best quality, made with the beautiful wood and amazing craftsmanship that are what make it durable and with the fantastic sound quality. It has the warm and round tone which stays consistent regardless of how long you use it for!
- Can be used for beginner and intermediate levels
- Professionals love the quality and recommend the brand
- Excellent sound quality that stays consistent
- It comes at a very expensive price
- Some complaints of receiving it in bad packaging
- Size 4/4 (Full Size) high-luster varnish cello
- Crack-proof spruce top with maple neck, back & sides
- Maple fingerboard and pegs with an alloy tailpiece with four integrated fine tuners
- Includes: padded soft carrying case, a Brazilwood bow with unbleached genuine Mongolian horsehair, rosin, bridge, cello stand, and extra set of strings
- 1 Year Warranty Against Manufacturer's Defects
Cecilio is best known for their quality instruments, and the CCO-100 Student Cello is no exception. It has the fantastic look and feels to it, with the maple fingerboard and pegs. The cello is amazing for first students and beginners, especially because of the rich and mournful sound that plays amazingly for both lessons and performances.
With the stunning look down to the beautiful sound it resonates, it’s a great starter cello at a moderate price.
- Fantastic quality with a good build to last for years of usage
- The rich and mournful sound that can be used for performances
- Quality bow and casing for easy transport
- It requires tuning but it starts to flatten over time
- Some complaints about receiving the damaged product (which is free to replace)
- Size 4/4 (Full Size) high-luster varnish cello with inlaid purfling
- Hand-carved solid spruce top with flamed maple neck, back & sides
- Ebony fingerboard, pegs, and tailpiece with mother of pearl inlaid and four nickel plated fine tuners
- Includes: hard and soft case, a Brazilwood bow with unbleached genuine Mongolian horsehair, rosin, bridge, cello stand, and extra set of strings
- 1 Year Warranty Against Manufacturer's Defects
For those who want an upgrade from the student cello, then you’ll love the Cecilio CCO-500. It’s made of the high-luster varnish, the solid spruce top, and maple neck, sides, and back. As for its sound, it produces the richest tones you can get for the money.
You receive what you pay for and with a few minor adjustments, you’ll be able to enjoy this cello for a long time.
- It’s durable and lasts long for beginners and intermediate players
- Produces the great sound from the solid ebony and spruce top
- Has an attractive and professional design
- It’s better to replace the cello strings
- There are some complaints of receiving scratched cellos
- Rosewood Fingerboard, Pegs, Fittings & End Pin
- Maple back, neck and sides
- Cello portable Stand, Protective Padded Cello Gig Bag, Cello string Strings set,
- Clip on Cello Chromatic Tuner, Rosin Cake and Quality Horsehair cello Bow
The D’Luca MC100 is a student cello offering the amazing quality.It’s still a great starter cello made for both beginners and intermediate players.
Though it comes at a more expensive price, you pay for better quality, sound, and durability that make it a long-term instrument to use until you reach the professional level. It’s made of the rosewood fingerboard and maple wood, producing clear and consistent sounds. Passing in all looks, sounds, and durability, you’ll get your money’s worth!
- Cello looks good with the maple wood and rosewood materials
- Everything you need is included
- Great for beginners and intermediate players
- Great and accommodating customer service
- Doesn’t come with a long warranty
- Requires minor tuning when you first receive it
Wrapping It Up
When looking for the simple yet elegant cello producing fantastic sounds for its price, the Lykos Acoustic Cello is best. It’s got the quality finish that looks and feels professional, including all the accessories you need. From its amazing and strong materials that help produce good tone and projection, it’s a worthy investment!
I hope that this article on the best beginner cellos gave you an idea on what to get! So don’t wait any longer and look into any of these products now!
If you have any questions or want to share your reviews on great beginner cellos, then comment below. Your thoughts are much appreciated.