For those who are looking for the best Alto saxophones for beginners, it might be confusing from the many available!
That’s why I did research to help you out, from testing the top products to sharing how to choose one.
So read on to learn more about the best starter Alto saxophones!
5 Best Alto Saxophones for Beginners in 2019
- Whether you want to buy a saxophone for yourself or for your friends or others, this saxophone is a product of choice as a result of its high quality and cost effective price.
- Eb E-Flat Alto Saxophone has High F# .
- Including: 11pc reeds,8pc mouthpiece cushion hard-shell case, mouthpiece, neck strap, Grease,Screwdriver, cleaning cloth & rod, and a pair of gloves
- Hand Engraved Bell Decoration, High Quality Leather Pads with Metal Resonators, Adjustable Key Height Screws and Metal Thumb Rest,accurate sound hole positions enable player's fingers to rest comfortably. Due to reasonable key layout and compact design, the saxophone can be easily played by both adult and children
- Before delivery, our saxophones are tested by professional quality inspector again to verify that they meet our standards.
If you’re looking for the top Alto saxophone without breaking the bank, then you’ll appreciate the GLORY Professional Sax. What I appreciate about it is that it’s made for students and beginners, coming in a variety of colors to choose from to encourage playing. It even has a complete deal, including the case, neck strap, cleaning materials, and gloves!
When receiving the sax, you’re able to play immediately as it arrives tuned. It has the reasonable sound quality and resonation I appreciate for its price, along with the comfortable feel. With its versatile and compact design, children and adults starting out will appreciate this as their first alto sax!
- It has a compact and lightweight design for children and adult beginners
- It arrives tuned so can be used immediately
- Cost-effective price with good value
- Tight-fitting mouthpieces that may need adjustments
- Pads may require to be fitted and secured
- The Jean Paul Alto Saxophone is in key of Eb
- Comes with robust contoured carrying case for easy transportation.Mouthpiece cap: nickel-plated Resonators: nylon
- Beautiful yellow brass body construction with Lacquer finish
- Included Accessories: 1 Rico Reed, Carrying Case, Cork grease, Gloves ,Cleaning Cloth, Swabs, and Mouthpiece
While the Jean Paul USA AS-400 Student Alto Saxophone is quite pricey, this is the surefire quality sax you’ll own. It comes in the beautiful finish and the yellow brass construction, which feels premium and professional. Furthermore, it produces the rich sound, almost as similar as an intermediate saxophone!
The sax’s keys are also easy to use and the sound stays consistent, which is a must for students and beginners. So if you have the extra bucks to spare, then you won’t go wrong with this sax. You’ll be able to play and practice with it for years to come!
- Comfortable and easy to play with from quality keys
- Beautiful and consistent sound can be used for performances
- All registers are clear with the fast-responsive keys
- It comes at an expensive price
- Doesn’t come with a cleaning swab
- PROFESSIONAL SAXOPHONE - All-in-One Set Includes Instrument, Reeds, Strap, Gloves, Cleaning Kit & Other Essential Accessories for School, Stage & Recording
- PRISTINE SOUND QUALITY - High Quality Materials, Resilient Pads & Premier Design Deliver Rich, Smooth Tonality, Consistent E Flat Pitch & Louder Sound Projection
- GORGEOUS CRAFTSMANSHIP - Exterior Neck & Horn Feature Shiny Gold Lacquer, Faux Mother of Pearl Key Inlays, Nonslip Palm Key Risers, Durable Ligature & More
- COMPLETE CLEANING KIT - Maintenance Bundle Includes Pad Saver Swab for Whisking Away Moisture [Store Inside or Outside] & Soft Cloth for Exterior Polishing
- ADJUSTABLE CARRY CASE - Plush Lined Travel Bag w/ Convertible Nylon Strap Lets You Carry 4 Ways While Keeping Sax Safe & Secure; Limited 1-Year Warranty
The LyxJam Saxophone is meant for beginners and intermediate students, coming with everything you need. It’s surprising that the complete package is all made of fine quality, and there are no major issues with how all of them work, being very useful.
As for the alto sax itself, it has the pristine sound quality, with the rich and smooth tone for its price. It has the excellent tones and the responsive action that makes it a great first saxophone for beginners. Even professionals are impressed with its quality for a beginner sax!
- A high-quality saxophone with sturdy construction
- Produces rich and smooth sounds
- It comes with a limited one-year warranty
- Some complaints of not receiving cork grease
- The neck strap s strong but feels cheap
- Black lacquered body Eb alto saxophone with high F# key alto sax
- Large bore, ribbed construction, quality leather pads with metal tone boosters, contoured keys with faux mother of pearl inlays
- Includes: Pro-deluxe durable hard-shell case, mouthpiece, neck strap, a box of 10 reeds (Size 2.5"), cleaning cloth & rod, and a pair of gloves
- Bonus: Cecilio 92-D chromatic/string tuner with metronome & pocketbook
- 1 Year Warranty Against Manufacturer's Defects
Mendini is back again with the excellent quality instruments, including the Mendini by Cecilio Alto Sax. Students will appreciate its variety of designs while beginners and intermediate players will like its good construction. For its price, it provides the craftsmanship worth more than what’s paid for, including the accessories and warranty for an even better deal.
It has the ribbed construction but the comfortable feel, not being too heavy for beginners to feel awkward with. While it does require a bit of adjustment at first, the sax performs well and can be used for practice until you reach the intermediate level.
- Low-cost yet excellent quality for the price
- Sounds bright enough and with a good deal to it
- Great value with a lot of accessories included
- Requires some oiling in the pads
- Best to replace the reeds
- Are You looking for your new Alto Saxophone to fulfill all your musical needs? We have the perfect instrument for You - "Lazarro Alto Saxophone".
- Our "Lazarro" Saxophones are perfect for any occasions: lessons, concerts, bands and orchestras. We follow USA Standards for our Saxophones, that is why they are teacher and school approved
- We are a USA Brand that you can trust 100%. Our Saxophones are not just stylish, but also very durable, have great sound quality and are always hand checked by our professional team in New York.
- Lazarro Alto Saxophones are manufactured by International Standards, regardless of the colors and keys, and feature the same sound quality, mechanisms and durability.
- Package: Lazarro Alto Saxophone, Mouthpiece with Reed, Cap and Ligature, Fabric Case, Neck Strap, Cleaning Cloth, Reeds Holder, Cleaning Rod, White Gloves, Screwdriver, Cork Grease and Tweezers
The Lazarro Alto Saxophone has the stylish appearance and good construction which makes it a good sax to use for learning. While it isn’t part of the popular brands out there, it still offers the similar feel and sound that impresses many.
For its price, there are still some minor issues that can be easily solved with a few adjustments. However, beginners can make do with it as it provides a simple and effective job in performing pieces with good tone.
- Sax produces loud and rich tones for its price
- Strong construction to help with sound quality
- Complete package with a different color to choose from
- Mouthpiece, reed, and ligature require replacement
- Shine and lacquer fades too quickly
How to Choose the Best Alto Saxophones For Beginners
Choosing the best saxophone for beginners doesn’t need to be so hard! Here are the helpful factors to consider:
I highly recommend that you get a student Alto saxophone, which is affordable and made for beginners. These provide the comfortable shape and feel for beginners to start and progress from. But don’t choose the dirt-cheap one! Still, focus on an Alto sax with a moderate price but solid build for quality sound.
Most modern saxophones have a ribbed construction, which helps strengthen the bond between the sax and posts for a longer lifespan. However, non-ribbed ones are for students, which are lighter and have good tone production!
Material and Finish
As you notice with most saxes, they have the yellow brass bodies, or they’re made of bronze, sterling river, or copper. I recommend that you get one with a clear lacquer or other durable finishes that are scratch-resistant.
Learn more about the Alto saxophone with this helpful video:
Wrapping It Up
After doing my tests and research, the best alto saxophone for beginners goes to the GLORY Professional Alto Eb Saxophone. It’s great for students and beginners who want something that feels just like the intermediate or professional sax without spending the big bucks in case they choose to venture to other instruments.
From the complete bundle down to the comfortable feel and tone, it’s a long-term investment!
Hopefully, you found the best beginner alto saxophone suitable for you. So use this article as a starting point and find the one that suits you now.
If you have any questions or want to share your own reviews, do comment down below! I would love to hear what you have to think.