Today’s Deals on our Top Pick
A banjo is an awesome instrument that anyone can play freely, with the lovely country vibe that sweetens the spirit.
So if you’re looking for one to start playing, then it’s time to find the best banjos for beginners! Read on as I show you an informative purchasing guide and my top choices.
Here are our top picks for the best beginner banjos in 2021
- 5 String Full Size Banjo with Geared 5th Tuner
- Amazing Low Price on Best Selling Banjo
What I love most about Jameson’s 5-String Banjo is that it’s simple but very sturdy. It only comes with the banjo itself, though it’s totally worth the investment given the sounds it produces and the classic look it has.
This banjo is very easy to learn from, exceeding expectations and almost having the similar feel to other more expensive versions. It also looks to be well-made and durable, holding up for many hours of playing daily! All in all, an awesome purchase that you’ll enjoy jamming with.
- Great quality and built to last for many sessions
- Good frets and straight neck for better playability
- Quality sound with good tunes as you play
- Doesn’t come with the carrying bag (optional)
- It’s difficult to put the resonator back
- 5 STRING Full Size Banjo with Geared 5th Tuner
- RESONATOR mahogany closed back for bluegrass or clawhammer style banjo
The Rogue Learn-the-Mandolin Package is the ultimate beginner mandolin because of the complete accessories it comes with. This is an affordable starter set which includes two beginner books, a gig bag, and the mandolin itself. I like these two books as it’s easy to follow and I enjoy learning it.
The mandolin itself is made of exceptional quality for its price. It looks great and sounds beautiful once you have it tuned right.
- Glossy finish and durable construction
- Doesn’t look cheap
- It has two easy-to-learn mandolin books for beginners
- Comes at an affordable price with a good starter set
- Doesn’t come with a tuner and needs one upon receiving
- It may sound a bit twangy for some
- 1. The drum head of Kmise banjolele made of polyester with great elasticity has a quick response. Equipped with superior Aquila String from Italy and high quality closed geared tuners, this banjolele can not only produce a bright and percussive tone but also be in an accurate intonation and stay in tune well.
- 2. Compared with other banjoleles, Kmise banjolele with action 3mm at the 12th fret is very comfortable for beginners to learn because players do not need to press too hard with such a low action. Preset with truss rod inside the neck, players can adjust the action with the wrench as needed. Smooth fretboard and neat fret wires also offer comfortable touch and protect hands from being scratched.
The Kmise Concert-Sized Banjo is great for both practicing and performing. It comes with everything you need to get started, from the picks, casing, strap, tuning pegs, oil, and even the tuner! Everything works amazingly, especially the instrument itself.
This mandolin has a smooth fingerboard and neat fret wire, which is comfortable to use and easy to play with. I love this banjo for its durable quality and intonation for its price tag! With its affordable price and complete package, I believe it to be a good starter banjo for beginners to have an easier time learning.
- Complete accessories
- Including a tuner and tools
- Good sound for its price
- Has a bright and loud tune
- Great intonation and action
- Tuning may take a long time
- Need to replace strings to get the best tone
- PREMIUM QUALITY - The rich wood and high-gloss finish are accented with white jade machine head tuner key pegs and chrome-plated hardware. Crafted with mahogany neck, back, and side, plus a rosewood fingerboard and Maple Wood bridge
- FABULOUS TONE - Brings you all the classic tones of a traditional 5 string banjo. Perfect for country, folk, bluegrass, and even some modern rock. It's designed to sound as good as it looks
The Pyle 5-String Banjo is simply made with the premium quality that makes it worth the long-term investment. It’s lightweight and ha the rich wood and a high-gloss finish, which looks and feels like it’s more expensive! Also, it offers the cool tone with strong, clear sounds that make it playable for any music genre.
There is some assembly required upon receiving the banjo, but after that, it’s alls booth sailing from there. It’s not the most perfect, but exceeds expectations for a beginner banjo.
- Glossy finish and rich wood quality
- Clear and strong sound when playing
- Easy and comfortable to play with
- Not too tough on the fingers
- Requires setup upon receiving
- Some complaints of a slight gap between frets
- High-Quality Remo Drum Head - As Banjo panel can produce a sweet tone, ensures clarity sound, stable bridge setting when fast fingerpicking
- Superior Material- Mahogany fingerboard and bridge, sturdy and stable, make the sound more layered; Sapele sides and back have beautiful wood grain, hard and not liable to warp or corrode, making the banjo durable.
The ADM Banjo is made with 24 brackets, a chrome-plated arm rest, an adjustable-hinged tailpiece, and the maple bridge. It also has the complete package, including picks, a bag, tuner, and extra set of strings for beginners to enjoy without spending too much.
You’re able to start playing it upon receiving, having fun with how comfortable and easy it is to use. It provides the learning curve and has adequate sound, with a good setup made for beginners.
- Can be used straight out of the box
- Very nice sound that can play match music genres
- Strings aren’t hard to press down
- Picks may be too small for men
- Some complaints of not receiving all accessories as advertised
How to Choose the Best Beginner Banjo
Wondering how to choose a beginner banjo? Here are the crucial factors and tips to get you started:
Quality and Make
There are a lot of parts that make a banjo high or low-quality. You have to make sure that you understand how the banjo is made and what it consists of so you know how it should feel and sound according to what you need.
This video will give you tips on picking the best banjo for you.
For starters, the head and bridge are important parts which influences its tone, with calfskin providing the mellow sound.
The Hub gives us a really good example as to checking construction quality of a banjo. The neck and fingerboard are usually made of maple, which allows adjustments to intonation and adjusts the way sound is projected.
Understanding Its Construction
Here are short steps in assessing bamboo quality:
- Test its action through pressing down each string on the fingerboard, making contact with frets easily without it hurting.
- Strum and pluck the strings. It should have the clear and pleasant sound with a tone ring without much buzz.
- The tuners should have the smooth operation with enclosed mechanisms.
What is the Best Banjo for Beginners?
After our intensive research, the best beginner banjo will have to go to Jameson Guitars 5-String Resonator Banjo. While it comes with just the banjo alone, you can choose to have it with a gig bag for a small price.
However, its lack of a complete beginner’s package still makes it worth the investment because of the brand it comes from, creating the amazing sound with excellent value.
I hope this article on the best banjos for beginners helped you out. So don’t wait any longer and check out any of these reviews now. If you have any questions or want to share your own experiences with these instruments, then comment below.
Today’s Deals on our Top Pick