What is the Best Digital Piano for Beginners?
After doing much research and testing, we chose the Yamaha P71 as the best digital piano for beginners because of its ease of use and authentic feel. It sounds and feels just as if you were playing an acoustic piano, which makes it well worth its price.
Latest Deals on Our Top Pick
We know how difficult it may be to look for the best digital piano for beginners, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the many brands and types to choose from!
That’s why I rounded up these top five digital pianos to help you out.
Here are our top picks for the best beginner digital pianos in 2019
- Amazon Exclusive Model Includes power adapter and sustain pedal
- 88 fully weighted piano style keys simulate the feel of an acoustic piano and provide a quality playing experience
What makes the Yamaha P71 the best digital piano for beginners is its compact body. While it’s a bit heavier than your usual keyboard piano, it’s portable and has a variety of functions and voices to choose from. Plus, it has the 88 fully-weighted piano keys that simulate the feel of the acoustic piano!
- Stylish and compact design
- Has the similar keys of an acoustic piano
- High-cost performance at an affordable price
- The audio plug-in is badly placed
- Sustain pedal slides
- 88 Graded Hammer Fully Weighted Action keys reproduce the touch of an acoustic piano, replicating the feel of the hammers inside an acoustic piano. Synthetic Ivory K6 key tops provide a tactile surface to the white keys preventing slipping.
- ENDLESS FUNCTION: Easy access to 500 authentic voices,128 polyphony,200 preset styles,10 user styles,60 preset songs,10 user songs,120 album list and 5 demos,in addition to Auto Accompaniment, Song Recording,O.T.S.,MIDI...... Flychord DP330 provides a natural but professional piano experience with endless possibilities.
For those who are looking for the best digital piano for beginners packed with the necessary features, then you’ll appreciate the Flychord DP330.
What’s amazing about it is that it has the authentic feel AND sound to it, which gives it the beautiful playing experience perfect for starters and advanced pianists.
- It’s easy to set up
- A wide range of functions for beginners
- Feels like the real piano
- Comes at an expensive price
- Doesn’t come with a bench
- GHS weighted action is heavier in the low end and lighter in the high end, just like an acoustic piano
- Advanced Wave Memory Stereo Sampling recreates natural instrument sound in stereo
Another best digital piano for beginners goes to the Yamaha P45. Similar to the P71, it comes with the authentic feel for an amazing playing experience. But what makes it unique is its dual mode and USB connectivity, so you are able to create or play music and track your progress!
- Quality feel and sound
- Dual mode and USB connectivity for better music creation
- Compact size to fit anywhere
- Not as durable as other digital pianos
- Bundle includes Casio CS-67 furniture stand, Casio SP-33 triple-pedal system, furniture bench, Austin Bazaar instructional DVD, Hal Leonard instructional book, and Austin Bazaar polishing cloth
- Casio's best-selling digital piano; new version of Casio PX-150
The reason why we think the Casio Privia PX-160 is the best digital piano for beginners is that it’s very easy to use and comes with everything you need to start practicing! It comes with the peel, bench, and even instructional books and DVDs to kickstart your love for music.
- Good bundle to begin practicing
- Elegant design and compact size
- Different quality tones to choose from
- Piano stand and the bench is flimsy
- Has a large gap between black and white keys
- APPEALING TONE-This digital piano adopts dream source,with digitalization sampling,88 standard piano keys,giving you an outstanding feel and response
- FEATURE-3 Pedal System(Soft/Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal)/LCD Display Screen/80 Demo Songs/Dual,960 Tones/128 Polyphony/200 Rhythms/Built-in Stereo Speakers/Slide Cover Design
If you need the best digital piano for beginners that come with all the features and functions, then this LAGRIMA Digital Piano is for you. We appreciate its appealing tone and the hundreds of rhythms, tones, and songs available for practicing or listening.
Plus, it even comes with a headphone jack and USB terminals to play and listen to various songs.
- USB/MIDI terminal and headphone jack included
- Easy-to-understand interface
- Hundreds of rhythms to choose from
- Not the best tone quality
- Speakers aren’t the best
- 88 Natural Weighted Hammer action keyboard keys
- 8 Accurate digitally sampled sounds Maximum polyphony 120 voices
For those who want the balance of beautiful sounds and different voices to choose from, then the best digital piano for beginners is the Korg B1SP digital piano. It has the accurate sampled sounds and the weighted action which feels and sounds just like the traditional piano!
- Easy to assemble
- Amazing playing experience, like a traditional piano
- Naturally-weighted keys and three pedals attached
- Only one output jack
- Maximum volume isn’t very loud
- Guided by LED Lights to start playing in minutes
- 4000+ sheet music, 100+ videos, and games in the free apps
Lastly, we have the ONE Smart Piano, which is the best digital piano for beginners because of its advanced capabilities. You are able to connect it to your smart device and install a specialized app that opens up thousands of sheet music and hundreds of lessons to help you learn how to play the piano on your own!
- Guided LED lights for learning
- Weighed keys and classic wooden body for authenticity
- Ability to connect to your smartphone
- The app could use some updates
- Limited song choices
- Rich, responsive tone from Roland renowned supernatural piano sound engine
- 88-Note Phat-4 standard keyboard provides authentic piano touch for maximum expression
In my opinion, the Roland 88-note Portable Digital Piano is the perfect option for those who are looking for a practice keyboard. Thanks to its compact design, users can bring this digital piano almost anywhere with ease. But that’s not the only reason why you should consider getting this keyboard.
This 88-note PHA-4 standard keyboard is all about providing players the most authentic piano touch playing experience – perfect for maximum expression. And together with Roland’s trademark SuperNATURAL piano sound engine, this keyboard produces only rich and responsive tones. What more can a digital pianist ask for?
I also love that it comes with a powerful amp but it also has a headphone output that allows a more private practice. The built-in Bluetooth connectivity allows users to connect their keyboard with popular smartphone apps such as GarageBand, Sheet Music Direct, and more.
Additionally, players can also choose from a wide selection of non-piano sounds like strings, voices, and drums, thanks to its dual/split mode.
The Twin Piano mode on this keyboard also makes the ideal setting for lessons. This mode allows a student and a teacher to play side by side within the same octave. And finally, players can also save songs on the SMF recorder as well.
- Lightweight and highly portable but also durable enough for travel
- Comes with plenty of playing modes
- Addressing the needs of a digital pianist
- Supports Bluetooth connectivity
- Has a headphone jack
- The sound may still be too synthetic according to some users
- "Harmonic Imaging sound technology 88-key piano sampling Responsive hammer compact action, 88 weighted keys 19 sounds, including eight exceptional piano sounds Bluetooth MIDI Dual and split keyboard modes 192-note polyphony Built-in Alfred piano lessons Damper pedal with half-damping Built-in stereo speaker system"
If you’re looking for a simple, no-frills digital piano, then the Kawai ES110 is perhaps the best solution for you. This 88-key digital piano is all about delivering the needs of all types of players. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced learner, there’s plenty of reason why you’d want to get the Kawai ES110.
First, this digital stage piano features a Responsive Hammer Compact Action which gives players a playing experience that is close to authentic compared to other digital pianos out there.
It also has 192-note polyphony, a built-in stereo speaker system, and MIDI ports. The Dual and Split Modes and the onboard lessons are great additions for complete beginners and for those who are just starting out. And because this keyboard supports Bluetooth connectivity, it also works with plenty of smartphone apps as well.
- Has high-quality 88-keys with Responsive Hammer Compact Action
- Comes with 192-note polyphony with a good quality speaker system
- Supports Bluetooth connectivity
- The weight of the keys are inconsistent
- According to some users
- The keys make a lot of noise compared to other keyboards
The Best Digital Piano for Beginners vs Keyboards
The major difference between a digital piano and a keyboard is its size and weight. Digital pianos aren’t as portable as a keyboard and are made to replicate the sound and feel of a traditional piano.
Furthermore, the keys and sensitivity are more quality than that of a keyboard, having the ebony and ivory texture to make it feel as if you were playing a real piano.
However, they are quite an expensive investment. Keyboards are a more affordable and compact option. But if you want that beautiful and authentic feel, then a digital piano is best for you.
To choose the best digital piano for beginners, you have to ensure that it comes with the practical features that make it feel like the real thing.
Assuming you’re a beginner, then the digital piano should have a good weighted action and built-in learning tools which can help you practice your skills until you’re ready to invest in a more advanced piano.
You don’t need to spend countless hours trying to figure out what the best digital piano is for you.
By reading up on reputable reviews (like this!) and learning more about digital pianos, you’ll find the one suitable for you and your home. And that is no other than the Yamaha P71 Digital Piano.
If you have any questions or want to share your reviews on any of these digital pianos, then comment below.
Latest Deals on Our Top Pick