EDITOR’S CHOICE: After doing much research and testing, we chose the Yamaha P71 as the best digital piano for beginners because of its ease of use and authentic feel. It sounds and feels just as if you were playing an acoustic piano, which makes it well worth its price.
We know how difficult it may be to look for the best digital piano for beginners, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the many brands and types to choose from!
That’s why I rounded up these top five digital pianos to help you out.
7 Best Digital Pianos for Beginners in 2019 (Starter’s Guide)
SLIM AND STYLISH, OUR OVERALL BEST
- Includes the P71 88-Key Weighted Digital Piano, PKBZ1 Z-Style Stand, PKBB1 Adjutable Bench, Sustain Pedal, Music Rest & Power Adapter
- 88 fully weighted piano-style keys simulate the feel of an acoustic piano and provide a quality playing experience
- Stand Height: up to 29", Width: 19.75" - 25.0", Depth: 13.25"
- NOTE: Yamaha piano lays flat on the adjustable surface and does not bolt to stand
- Adjustble padded keyboard bench provides comfort and stability
What makes the Yamaha P71 the best digital piano for beginners is its compact body. While it’s a bit heavier than your usual keyboard piano, it’s portable and has a variety of functions and voices to choose from. Plus, it has the 88 fully-weighted piano keys that simulate the feel of the acoustic piano!
- Stylish and compact design
- Has the similar keys of an acoustic piano
- High-cost performance at an affordable price
- The audio plug-in is badly placed
- Sustain pedal slides
ENDLESS FUNCTIONS AND AUTHENTIC FEEL
- 88 Graded Hammer Fully Weighted Action keys reproduce the touch of an acoustic piano, replicating the feel of the hammers inside an acoustic piano. Synthetic Ivory K6 key tops provide a tactile surface to the white keys preventing slipping.
- ENDLESS FUNCTION: Easy access to 500 authentic voices,128 polyphony,200 preset styles,10 user styles,60 preset songs,10 user songs,120 album list and 5 demos,in addition to Auto Accompaniment, Song Recording,O.T.S.,MIDI...... Flychord DP330 provides a natural but professional piano experience with endless possibilities.
- The TOP Sound Egine with grand piano meticulously sampled prouce an awesome and decent grand piano sound. At 24 x 59 x 15.4 inches dimensions, which makes it more substantial upright piano.
- 128 note polyphony allows pianists and players to play any music without a drop of a note.Three-half-damper pedal control allows continuously increasing amounts of note sustain, from slight to full, as you depress the sustain pedal.
- One year full-replacement warranty and considerate life-time after-sale service make Flychord more reliable.
For those who are looking for the best digital piano for beginners packed with the necessary features, then you’ll appreciate the Flychord DP330.
What’s amazing about it is that it has the authentic feel AND sound to it, which gives it the beautiful playing experience perfect for starters and advanced pianists.
- It’s easy to set up
- A wide range of functions for beginners
- Feels like the real piano
- Comes at an expensive price
- Doesn’t come with a bench
FOR EFFICIENT PRACTICING AND LEARNING
- GHS weighted action is heavier in the low end and lighter in the high end, just like an acoustic piano
- Advanced Wave Memory Stereo Sampling recreates natural instrument sound in stereo
- 64-note polyphony allows the player to perform moderately dense piano passages, even using heavy sustain pedal, with few or no dropped notes being cut off
- Dual Mode lets you combine two Voices together, like piano and strings, for an inspiring new playing experience
- The USB to HOST port allows you to connect and interact with a wide variety of educational, music creation or music entertainment applications on a computer or mobile device
Another best digital piano for beginners goes to the Yamaha P45. Similar to the P71, it comes with the authentic feel for an amazing playing experience. But what makes it unique is its dual mode and USB connectivity, so you are able to create or play music and track your progress!
- Quality feel and sound
- Dual mode and USB connectivity for better music creation
- Compact size to fit anywhere
- Not as durable as other digital pianos
COMPLETE AND ELEGANT
- Bundle includes Casio CS-67 furniture stand, Casio SP-33 triple-pedal system, furniture bench, Austin Bazaar instructional DVD, Hal Leonard instructional book, and Austin Bazaar polishing cloth
- Casio's best-selling digital piano; new version of Casio PX-150
- Elegant look with redesigned speaker system
- String ensemble and electric piano tones
- Two headphone outputs on front; 1/4" left and right line outputs
The reason why we think the Casio Privia PX-160 is the best digital piano for beginners is that it’s very easy to use and comes with everything you need to start practicing! It comes with the peel, bench, and even instructional books and DVDs to kickstart your love for music.
- Good bundle to begin practicing
- Elegant design and compact size
- Different quality tones to choose from
- Piano stand and the bench is flimsy
- Has a large gap between black and white keys
FEATURE-PACK AND MULTIPLE FUNCTIONS
- APPEALING TONE-This digital piano adopts dream source,with digitalization sampling,88 standard piano keys,giving you an outstanding feel and response
- FEATURE-3 Pedal System(Soft/Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal)/LCD Display Screen/80 Demo Songs/Dual,960 Tones/128 Polyphony/200 Rhythms/Built-in Stereo Speakers/Slide Cover Design
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL-Feature sound volume adjustment,multi-tone selection,sound recording control,playback function,split/touch control function,metronome function,teaching function etc,let you learn piano more happily in a beautiful melody!
- USB/MIDI TERMINAL-You can connect and interact with a wide variety of educational,music entertainment or other applications on a computer or Apple and Android devices
- QUIET MODE-This 88 key piano with two headphone jacks,you will find it at the bottom of the piano(headphone is not included,but most headphones are available),so you don't worry will disturb others' relax when you are playing.
If you need the best digital piano for beginners that come with all the features and functions, then this LAGRIMA Digital Piano is for you. We appreciate its appealing tone and the hundreds of rhythms, tones, and songs available for practicing or listening. Plus, it even comes with a headphone jack and USB terminals to play and listen to various songs!
- USB/MIDI terminal and headphone jack included
- Easy-to-understand interface
- Hundreds of rhythms to choose from
- Not the best tone quality
- Speakers aren’t the best
BEAUTIFUL SOUND AND QUALITY SPEAKERS
- 88 Natural Weighted Hammer action keyboard keys
- 8 Accurate digitally sampled sounds Maximum polyphony 120 voices
- Built-in stereo sound system (9 Watt x 2) with MFB Servo technology
- Three pedals attach to the piano damper, sostenuto, and soft.(included)
- Included is the Piano with furniture stand and 3 pedal board also comes with AC adapter sheet stand and piano bench
For those who want the balance of beautiful sounds and different voices to choose from, then the best digital piano for beginners is the Korg B1SP digital piano. It has the accurate sampled sounds and the weighted action which feels and sounds just like the traditional piano!
- Easy to assemble
- Amazing playing experience, like a traditional piano
- Naturally-weighted keys and three pedals attached
- Only one output jack
- Maximum volume isn’t very loud
ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY AND GREAT COMPATABILITY
- Guided by LED Lights to start playing in minutes
- 4000+ sheet music, 100+ videos, and games in the free apps
- Supporting both iOS and Android, phone and tablet
- MIDI output and recording (please refer to the user manual for setting guidance)
- High Grade Piano: 88 weighted keys, professional stereo sound, 3 piano pedals and classic wooden body
Lastly, we have the ONE Smart Piano, which is the best digital piano for beginners because of its advanced capabilities. You are able to connect it to your smart device and install a specialized app that opens up thousands of sheet music and hundreds of lessons to help you learn how to play the piano on your own!
- Guided LED lights for learning
- Weighed keys and classic wooden body for authenticity
- Ability to connect to your smartphone
- The app could use some updates
- Limited song choices
The Best Digital Piano for Beginners vs Keyboards
The major difference between a digital piano and a keyboard is its size and weight. Digital pianos aren’t as portable as a keyboard and are made to replicate the sound and feel of a traditional piano.
Furthermore, the keys and sensitivity are more quality than that of a keyboard, having the ebony and ivory texture to make it feel as if you were playing a real piano.
However, they are quite an expensive investment. Keyboards are a more affordable and compact option. But if you want that beautiful and authentic feel, then a digital piano is best for you.
To choose the best digital piano for beginners, you have to ensure that it comes with the practical features that make it feel like the real thing.
Assuming you’re a beginner, then the digital piano should have a good weighted action and built-in learning tools which can help you practice your skills until you’re ready to invest in a more advanced piano.
You don’t need to spend countless hours trying to figure out what the best digital piano is for you. By reading up on reputable reviews (like this!) and learning more about digital pianos, you’ll find the one suitable for you and your home.
And that is no other than the Yamaha P71 Digital Piano.
If you have any questions or want to share your reviews on any of these digital pianos, then comment below.