An amplifier can make or break your performance. A poorly sounding one on stage or even on practice is simply frustrating. And what’s even annoying is it if you had chosen the wrong amp in the first place.
Don’t let that happen. Let us help you pick the best guitar amps under 200 to find your best match and swipe right. if you’re ready, let’s begin.
How to Choose the Best Guitar Amps Under $200
Decide whether you’d like to use a solid-state, tube or digital amp, according to GuitarWorld.com. It depends on what suits your needs and preferences.
For example, I notice that digital amps and solid-state amps require less maintenance yet offer an excellent tone. On the other hand, I have some friends that still want the tube tone amp, noting that it’s still standard.
Do a listening test
Be the judge with a listening test. After all, tone is still king regarding amps. Now if you’re looking for a cheaper and lighter alternative, Guitar.com suggested going for solid-state amplifiers especially if you’re a beginner.
I’d also like to mention construction that makes the big difference. Check on the wood thickness and stay away from those built with thin wood. It is more likely than not to vibrate often and loose itself. Go for 1/2” for a strong sound.
Check on power and speaker size
Before I forgot, check on the power and speaker size. At the very least, solid-state units have low power up to 30W and small size about eight or ten inches.
Here’s a useful video if you’re looking for a guide to guitar amp controls and settings.
Tube and modeling combos are good for smaller venues, but combo amps with pairs of 12” speakers are better for large venues. You may also consider separate head and speaker cabinets for this application.
7 Best Guitar Amps Under $200
- With a turn of a knob, choose from clean to mean tones from the 17 various amp models that will accommodate almost any genre of music.
- Shape the on-board amp models 'on the fly' or dig deep and edit them with your computer using the included Fender FUSE software to further alter the included effects such as reverb, delay/echo, tremolo, phaser and many more.
- Jam along with your favorite tracks by simply plugging your MP3 player into the Auxiliary input and you instantly become part of the band and /or practice privately with the 1/8th headphone output jack that also mutes the speaker output.
- Capture moments of inspiration and build songs using the included Ableton Live Lite 8 Fender Edition studio quality recording software compatible with either MAC or PC, Controls:Gain, Volume, Treble, Bass, Master, Preset Select, Modulation Select, Delay/Reverb Select, Save Button, Exit Button, Tap Tempo Button
- Limited Warranty Included
The Fender Mustang I V2 is a combo electric guitar amplifier top-rated by beginner to advanced players. It offers versatility and supreme performance unlike any other.
Clean or mean tone? No problem! We can have that easily set with the Combo Electric Guitar Amplifier that offers 17 amp models. So whatever your music genre is, there sure to be one amp model for you.
I like that this amplifier model includes Fender FUSE software. Why does it matter? It lets you adjust effects, such as tremolo, echo, delay and reverb, to name some. Such flexibility makes it indeed a great bang for your money.
- Includes the Fender FUSE software
- With a recording software included
- Comes with 17 amp models
- Limited warranty
- Can be a bit bulky for some users
- Ultra-compact guitar amp with custom-designed speaker (Best with Polaroid AA Batteries)
- Eight COSM amp tones, including the ultra-heavy EXTREME amp
- Eight DSP effects, including HEAVY OCTAVE and dedicated DELAY/REVERB with spring emulation
- i-CUBE LINK jack provides simple audio interfacing with Apple's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (interface cable included)
- MEMORY function for saving favorite amp and effects settings
The Roland M Cube guitar amplifier boasts solid features and functions. One thing I liked is that it already comes with 8 different DSP effects and 8 COSM amp models. It just means more versatility and choices, period.
I’d like to note that it’s small but strong. In fact, the amp that comes in a very small package is unbelievably packed with a great sound. It is remarkable that it also includes heavy-octane effects when we want low and thick tones.
We’d also benefit from the Free Cube Jam app, which lets us playback music, play songs and record amp tones. And if performing in a remote place where there is no power shore, you can rely on the amp that runs on batteries.
- Effect setting saving with its memory function
- Extra portable for its ultra compact size
- May require constant recharging
- Speaker not as powerful as the others are
- Foot switchable channels
- Analogue signal path
- CabSim loaded headphone output
- New High gain preamp design, 4 stage preamp
- 20 Watts
The Orange Crush 20 is an amplifier that delivers supreme sound. You might like if you’re looking for a portable amp especially for smaller venues as well.
It packs a punch in terms of a wide range of distorted and overdriven sounds. Thanks to the high gain 4-stage preamp design, offering both clean and dirty channels.
I love that the amplifier is boasting a modest footprint in its nice speaker that also does not fall short in terms of great sound. We’ll also appreciate that it features an aux for backing tracks. What more could we ask for?
Plus, this model comes with a CabSim loaded headphone output, which makes it an ideal choice if we’re looking for that nice sound in the practice amp format.
- 3-band EQ control for total sound control
- High gain preamp design
- Sound isn’t as powerful
- Color might be off for some users
- Custom 10 inch speaker
- Modern digital effects
- Emulated headphone output
- Manual & preset channel modes
- Line in for jamming along with tracks. Clean, crunch, OD1, OD2 channels.30 Watt (RMS) Output @ 4 Ohms
Another product I’d like to recommend in the best amps under 200 is the M-MG30GFX-U. It is a combo amplifier that features an innovative 10-inch speaker.
One thing I also noticed with this combo amp is its wide array of modern digital effects. I believe it suits guitarists that want more flexibility in the sound they want to achieve.
The M-MG30GFX-U offers both modern and classic tones, adding to its value as well. What I also liked about this combo amplifier is the included headphone output, which is ideal for rehearsals.
This amp does not only sound great but also look perfect. No matter where you are performing, you’ll stand out for its gold metal finish and gold piping.
- Preset and manual channel modes
- Comes with a line in ideal for playing back and jamming along with tracks
- Not as many modern digital effects
- Speaker output might not be that strong for some users
- Three times as many amp, cab, and effect models as other amps in its class
- Fast and easy tone shaping with intuitive controls
- Built-in tuner, metronome, and drum loops provide a complete practice toolset
- 128 custom presets including Iconic Rigs & Artist Tones
- Full-range speaker system for electrics, acoustics, and music playback
If you’re looking for a modeling amplifier, I bet it’s cool to choose the Line 6 Spider. It is a high quality and durable amplifier that can fit well in your gigs and events.
I’d like to note that the amplifier is offering up to three times the number of effect, cab and amp models than the others in the same category do. It simply translates to more options.
It is easy to use for its simple controls, allowing you to change settings as desired. So when it comes to tone shaping, there is nothing like the Line 6 Spider.
Another thing I’d like to point out is its additional functions, including drum loops, metronome and tuner. Without even saying, it might be what you’re looking for as a complete practice toolset.
Overall, the Spider V is the reliable choice for stunning tone and sound clarity.
- Comes with built-in features
- Such as drum loops
- Metronome and tuner
- Includes 128 custom presets
- Such as artist tones and iconic rigs
- Not so great speaker sound
- Might have limited compatibility with other foot controllers
OUR CHOICE FOR THE BEST GUITAR AMPS UNDER $200
For this roundup, the Fender Mustang I V2 20-Watt 1×8-Inch Combo Electric Guitar Amplifier is the obvious winner for reasons. It offers great performance and supreme sound quality. There is no doubt, though. It is by Fender – the name trusted even by seasoned and professional bands in the world.
I’d like to recommend this one if you’re looking for more versatility, including effects’ adjustments and a wide range of amp models through the FUSE Software.
It also comes with recording software that lets us turn our creative side on and create more music from any genre. Nevertheless, it offers the best bang for the buck among those other products we’ve reviewed.
Buy it today!