EDITOR’S CHOICE: After doing all the research and testing, we believe that the Yamaha PSRE253 Portable Keyboard is most recommended. With its practical features, variety of quality sounds, and the portable body, beginners and intermediate players alike will appreciate this piano.
I know how difficult it can be looking for the best keyboard piano for beginners! With all the different types of features and specs found in pianos, those starting out get so confused with what to choose.
That’s why I did my research to help you out, showing you the top seven products and a short purchasing guide for you to make the right choice!
7 Best Keyboard Pianos for Beginners
Based on my tests and research, these are the seven best keyboard pianos to invest in today.
BEST FOR DEVELOPING YOUR PIANO SKILLS
- 61 full-sized keys are great for learning and developing keyboard playing technique.
- Duo mode splits the keyboard into two halves, each with their own "middle C" for practicing with a partner
- The Aux Line Input allows you to connect any music device with a headphone output, such as an MP3 player, a computer, a mixer or even another keyboard, and hear it through the internal speakers. The Portable Grand button and instantly resets the keyboard to the grand piano Voice
- 32-note polyphony allows for the performance of beginner to advanced level pieces, allowing for sustained notes to ring through without being cut off.
- The PSRE253 operates on batteries or with a power adapter. NOTE - Power Adapter is sold separately.
What I appreciate about the Yamaha PSRE253 is that it comes with the ideal 61 full-sized keys, which is great to practice with. It has the portable body but packed with a ton of features, with hundreds of voices and band tracks to choose from as you play.
- Portable body made for traveling
- Many voices and sounds to choose from
- Affordable price
- AC power cord sold separately
- Keys aren’t touch sensitive
PORTABLE WITH A VARIETY OF SOUNDS
- 44 mini-sized keys and 5 percussion pads
- 100 sounds and 50 rhythm patterns. Dimension: 23.8 inch W x 8.3 inch D x 2.24 inch H
- Simple tone selection with PIANO, ORGAN tone button and melody on/off lesson function
- Easy-to-read LCD display
- Product doesn't include an adapter
If you’re looking for a portable keyboard for practice or small rooms, then this is the right keyboard for you. While it may not give the full piano experience, it’s small enough to bring around anywhere, has the basic features, as well as the many sounds and rhythms to choose from.
- Portable and easy to take around
- Good volume for small size
- Easy-to-understand instructions
- Keys are too sensitive
- No AC adapter included
THE WHOLE PACKAGE IDEAL FOR BEGINNERS
- Compact digital keyboard with 61 full-size keys, LCD screen, record and playback functionality, 100 keyboard sounds, 100 rhythms, and 30 demo songs
- Sturdy, adjustable keyboard stand is easy to move throughout the home or studio
- Thick padded stool engineered for keyboard play
- Headphones let musicians practice in virtual privacy without disturbing others
- Sustain pedal, to enrich your keyboards Tone.
I admire the RockJam keyboard because it comes with the whole package, including a stand, stool, and headphones to begin practicing at home! The keyboard is sturdy and made with quality engineering, having the 61 full-sized keys and an easy-to-understand interface anyone can begin using.
- Comes with the record and playback features
- Hundreds of sounds and rhythms
- Complete package with stool, headphones, and stand
- The stool isn’t very durable
- App with lessons isn’t free
WITH DELUXE FEATURES TO MASTER FINGER CONTROL
- FLAWLESS, AUTHENTIC RANGE OF SOUND: Built-in speakers offer tremendous sound, complete with 255 Timbres, 255 rhythms, 61 keyboard percussions, and 24 demonstration songs. Stereo outputs and a headphone jack can be used to listen through external speakers or with the included headphones.
- INTEGRATED LEARNING SYSTEM: Designed for beginner to intermediate-level use, this multi-function keyboard piano features 61 standard-size keys, providing a traditional piano or organ feel for versatile learning and an exciting acoustic experience. With advanced sound options and an LCD display for easy settings control, keyboard comes with a detachable stand to hold sheet music.
- DELUXE EFFECTS & FEATURES: Ideally suited to master finger control, this portable piano keyboard allows for play of single-fingered and fingered auto-bass chords, with the capacity to select chord timbre, program/edit rhythm, as well as utilize effects such as vibrato, sustain, & ensemble. Additional features include rhythm sync and fill-in, tempo adjustment, accompanying volume, and a master volume control.
- RECORD & PLAYBACK, with MICROPHONE & HEADPHONES: Belt out in song or discreetly practice on headphones, along with the option to record and playback for improved performance. Includes microphone with a 4' cord, audio input, output, and headphones.
- EASY SET-UP with STAND and STOOL: Ready-to-use right out of the box, just power with 6 AA batteries (not included) and take this compact, lightweight musical keyboard on the road or to lessons, or plug the US-standard 110 -120 volt power adapter into the wall for extended play sessions. A sturdy metal keyboard stand meets varied needs with 3-position adjustable height functionality (22", 24-1/2", and 27").
One of the best features of the Hamzer keyboard is its authentic range of sound. It has the built-in speakers and hundreds of rhythms and sounds to choose from, with the ability to plug in your headphones for private playing. With its multi-functionality and the traditional piano feel, it’s worth the investment.
- Many sound and song options
- Easy to assemble
- Light, easy to move
- Max volume is very loud
- Manual isn’t understandable
COMPACT AND PORTABLE WITH PRACTICAL FEATURES
- Included Accessories: Samson HP30 Headphones, Bolt-On X-Style Keyboard Stand, and Power Supply
- 385 high-quality voices, including pianos, guitars, drums and orchestral instruments
- Nine-step lesson function (Yamaha Education Suite) helps beginners learn to play songs
- Compact, portable body
- Connect an external audio source to the AUX IN jack to enjoy playing along with your favorite songs
Yamaha is well-known for their quality pianos, and the YPT255 is no exception. It includes all the equipment beginners need to start practicing, along with a lesson function and portable body to bring around easily. The piano has a lot of features that won’t disappoint!
- Many voices to choose from
- Has lesson functions for beginners
- Affordable price with good packages
- The stand isn’t durable
- Keyboard won’t set up flat
BASIC KEYBOARD WITH EVERYTHING YOU NEED
- Standard piano keys keyboard with MP3 player function. Perfect standard 61-key keyboard for beginners. Unique music player function-mp3p (USB disk not included)
- Includes 255 timbres, 255rhythms and 50 demonstration songs. Produces high quality sounds and effects. Provides players with colorful and fantastic playing experience
- High-quality LED display. Multifunctional LED screen. Sensitive reflects functions/effects chosen or guides correct notes to press in demo songs. Helps players better learn and control
- Multiple PATTERNS&FUNCTIONS. Keyboard percussion, master volume/ accom volume/ tempo control, single finger/ fingered chord, start/ stop/ sync/ fill-in etc
- Complete set with everything needed. This pack contains music stand, headphone, keyboard stand, music Stool, DC 9V/AC adaptor. Everything needed for keyboard performance is well provided
For those looking for something easy to use and without the hefty price tag, then the Joy JK-63M-KIT is an excellent choice. It comes with an LED display and multiple functions that makes it easy to record and practice playing the piano. Coming at a complete package, this is the ultimate beginner’s keyboard.
- Full-sized keys
- Small and doesn’t take up much space
- Easy to assemble and use
- Keys aren’t weighted
- Some complaints on shipping
GIVES YOU THE ULTIMATE ACOUSTIC PIANO EXPERIENCE
- Exclusive to Amazon - The ultimate beginners digital piano loaded with 5 expertly crafted voices (Acoustic Piano, Electric Piano, Organ, Synth, and Bass) and powerful educational features that guarantee to have you playing professional keys fast!
- Universal Responsive Feel - 88 premium full-sized semi-weighted keys with adjustable touch response to suit your preferred playing style
- Connectivity Covered - Built-in 20W speakers deliver room filling sound, ¼" (6.35mm) sustain pedal input (pedal not included), ¼" (6.35mm) stereo headphone output for private practice, included power adapter and stereo RCA outputs to connect to a recorder, mixer, amplifier or any other sound system
- Powerful Educational Features - Standard, split, layer, and lesson modes with 128-note max polyphony and Built In FX: Chorus, Reverb
- Learn Piano Today - Includes Skoove 3 month premium subscription for expert interactive online piano lessons
If you want the full-sized keyboard with the ultimate traditional piano experience, then you will enjoy the Alesis Recital. It’s a bit over the budget for some but comes with a host of features that make it an excellent purchase, from its semi-weighted keys down to its quality sound and speakers.
- Many functions and features for customizing
- Very lightweight and portable
- Full 88 keys that are semi-weighted
- Expensive price
- No sustain pedal included
How to Choose the Best Keyboard Piano for Beginners
Owning a keyboard piano at home will help enhance your passion and skills in the instrument! However, you can only reap the benefits of learning piano has to offer if you choose the suitable one for you.
To help you out, here are the different factors to consider when selecting the best piano keyboard for beginners:
Size and Keys
Consider the size of your room and how much space you are willing to give for the keyboard. I like portable pianos to take with me for gigs or if I move around a lot.
Also, look into how many keys the keyboard has. Beginners can begin with 61 keys, which is five octaves. You can go further than that as you expand your reach.
Piano Features and Variety of Sounds
The chosen keyboard piano should have weighted key mechanism to provide the true piano experience as if you were playing with an acoustic piano.
It should also have at least one pedal for you to sustain notes. You’ll want to focus on pianos that come with these two basic features to have the optimum piano experience.
Extra Features for Learning
As a beginner, you’ll want to ensure that you have the beginner-friendly features to make practice easier. Get a keyboard that offers a variety of sounds to create more music, as well as a metronome to improve your rhythm as you play.
There are also other aids in keyboards that help, such as onboard recorders or connectors to transfer your progress to any smart device.
Wrapping It Up
Hopefully, this article on the best keyboard piano for beginners helped you find what you’re looking for! Through investing in the ideal piano, you can hone your skills and take your love for music to the next level. As long as you do your research, you won’t have trouble searching for the best.
If you have any questions or want to share your tips and experiences on purchasing a keyboard piano, then comment below. Your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated!