OUR #1 RATED BEST USB MICROPHONE FOR RAPPING 2020
One critical aspect of delivering a very powerful rap is the mic. No matter how witty you are to craft your piece or how beautiful your rap vocals is, if your mic is mediocre, people might not appreciate your talent.
So, look for a mic that perfectly fits your needs.
There are a lot of mics out there that claimed to be best for rap vocals. But, when you use them, they are just another crap.
We get frustrated with the wrong products, so we’ve made a decision to make in-depth research.
We rank the mics and come up with 10 best USB microphones for rapping.
For additional help, we include a quick buying guide and a word of recommendation for you. Check them out and let us know what you think.
10 Best USB Microphones For Rapping in 2020
- Tri-capsule array - 3 condenser capsules can record almost any situation.
- Multiple pattern selection - cardioid, bidirectional, omnidirectional & stereo. Frequency Response- 20Hz - 20kHz
If you are looking for a versatile USB mic for rapping with selectable pickup patterns, go for Blue Yeti USB Microphone. You can choose one of the four polar pattern settings — cardioid, omnidirectional, bidirectional and stereo. It’s a tri-capsule condenser mic that can record well in almost any situation.
It comes with a high-quality analog-to-digital converter, built-in headphone amplifier and direct controls to the headphone volume, instant mute and gain right on the mic.
The headphone output allows you to make zero-latency monitoring of your recordings. It’s a versatile USB mic with 16ohms impedance and compatible with most Windows PC and Mac that has at least 64MB RAM.
- Solid built and made of metal
- Plug and play with top-notched sound quality
- Versatile and delivers zero-latency monitoring
- No switch to turn the phone on or off
- Extremely sensitive and picks up everything around it
- Knobs are a bit wobbly with some USB connection issues
- The price/performance standard in side address studio condenser microphone technology
- Ideal for project/home studio applications; The noise level is 20 db spl
Audio Technica AT2020 is one of the few cheap condenser mics that are ready to take on the rigorous demands in home or studio recordings. This comes with a cardioid pattern, which means, it is great at eliminating background noise to the side.
The high SPL handling capacity and dynamic range allow you to record the natural sound of the source without distortion.
Its low-mass diaphragm gives more flexibility to the frequency and transient response. Comes with rugged construction, you are assured of its quality even when the demand in the studio is quite high. Since Audio-Technica is a brand most trusted by the pros, you’ll surely get great and consistent output from this mic.
- Delivers excellent sound quality
- Excels in capturing deep or not that loud sound sources
- Can handle a wide range of applications
- Doesn’t include a shock mount
- No volume adjustment on the mic
- No other polar pattern options
- Only the cardioid pattern
- Large condenser microphone element for warm, rich recordings
- Cardioid pick-up pattern minimizes background noise and isolates the main sound source
A large condenser mic like CAD Audio U37 USB is the one you need to achieve rich and great recordings. It employs cardioid pickup pattern, which you know minimizes background noise from the side to rear, isolating the natural sound of the source.
It has extended and smooth frequency response — great for singing, speech and probably rap vocals.
What’s more interesting with this mic is that fact that you’ll have the control over how your mic’s going to recording the sound you want to capture. It has 10dB overload-protection switch, which allows you to achieve minimal distortion when recording loud sources.
The bass-reduction, on the other hand, is useful to eliminate background noise such as ventilation or ambient noise, giving clear recordings.
It’s compatible with both Windows PC and Mac with tripod stand included.
- Good sound quality at an excellent price
- Easy USB connection with plug and play feature
- Has low-cut filter and pad features
- Monitoring feature is not available
- It lacks crispiness with some latency
- Very sensitive to plosive sounds
- Condenser microphone with USB output for digital recording
- High quality A/D converter with 16 bit, 44.1/48 kiloHertz sampling rate for superb audio
Another great mic from Audio Technica is the Audio-Technica AT2020USB+, which is also a cardioid mic like the Audio-Technica AT2020. From the name itself, it can be connected to your computer or other USB-enabled devices for vocals, instrument or acoustic recordings.
It’s an equipped mic with a high-quality A-D converter and a built-in headphone jack and mic output to be connected to your computer. Its design and construction is solid and reliable — consistent with its premium mics. Widely used for podcasts, home studio recordings and voiceover, this mic might just be the one you need.
- Great frequency response with zero-latency monitoring
- Reliable build quality
- Delivers great and warm vocals and sounds
- Though it’s a cardioid mic
- It picks up unwanted background noise
- Bundled tripod is not reliable
- ENSURE YOU BUY GENUINE RØDE PRODUCTS! Products from sellers which say ‘fulfilled by Amazon’ under the price are NOT authorized resellers, and may not be selling genuine product.
- Buy only from Amazon.com (labelled ‘shipped and sold by Amazon.com’)
Great for live performances, in addition to its capability to record podcasts and voiceover, Rode NT-USB is a great mic for rapping.
As you perform, you can take advantage of its stereo headphone jack with dials to make adjustments to the computer output and the mic in. It’s a cardioid mic that comes with a pop-filter to help eliminate background noise.
Whether you’ll be using a computer (Mac or Windows PC) or iPad, this USB microphone is very easy to use.
You can use its USB connection to plug in directly to your computer, but for the iPad, you need a recording app like RØDE Rec or Garage Band and a USB adapter like the Apple Camera Connection Kit. In case you want to ask, this mic is compatible with SMR shock mount & WS2 foam windshield.
- Provides great sound quality
- Easy to use and connect to your computers and phones
- Has a great pop shield
- Has some latency issues
- Not a good USB mic when you’re using more than one recorded track
- Built-in headphone jack isn’t that great
- Large diaphragm capsule provides wider dynamic range for clear highs and strong lows
- Voice-tailored frequency response specifically engineered to reproduce the subtle nuances lead vocal performances
Specifically engineered to capture the true sound of lead vocals, Shure PG42-LC is a great USB microphone. With its voice-tailored frequency response and large-diaphragm side-address capsule, you should get clear highs and strong lows — perfect for rapping.
It has 15dB switchable attenuator, that gives an additional SPL versatility to prevent distortion on high-frequency sounds like drums or horns.
It has high-pass filter to control low-end signal to pass through. The low-frequency roll-off enables the mic to be used for voice or mid to high-range instruments, and reduce room noise, as well. Included in the package is a shock mount, which will help you make a more stable setup.
- Delivers strong and detailed low
- Mid and highs
- Easily blends with modern music like pop and hip hop
- Superb quality
- Clear and crisp sounds
- Not right if you need a vintage-sounding mic
- A bit harsh on the upper mids
Shure PGA27-LC is another durable, yet affordable USB mic from the resounding maker, Shure. In addition, it captures vocals, acoustic instruments, and other sources.
This mic features a cardioid large diaphragm that provides a wide dynamic range — giving you clear, high-end and strong low-end, which might be great for rapping.
It has a high-pass filter with -15dB switchable attenuator for higher SPL handling to allow recordings even loud sources without sound discoloration and distortion. With its design and construction, you know it can take on, even the most rigorous recording environment.
Included in the package are a shock mount for more stability and padded zipper case for secure storage during transport.
- Comes with reliable cardioid pickup pattern with large diaphragm
- Industrial-grade build ready for the demanding recording environment
- Very sensitive to RF
- Quite expensive
- Given the features onboard
- Studio quality cardioid condenser microphone
- Designed for vocal and acoustic instrument recording. Also great for recording interviews, podcasts, voice overs, and audio for DSLR video.
Another USB mic that is specially designed for vocal and acoustic instruments is the Apogee MiC 96k. It’s a studio-quality cardioid condenser mic with up to 24-bit/96kHz of HD recording. Not only is it easily connectable to Mac and Windows PC, but you can also connect it to iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and other iOS devices.
Includes a mic, mic preamp and A-D converter rolled into one compact device, it’s carefully designed to get the highest quality recordings. It became a choice of both aspiring and professional artist who wants to achieve big-studio mic sound. Also, optimized for the latest Apple iOS devices, this mic gives pristine fidelity recordings.
- Superior quality and portability
- Plug and play connectivity
- Produce very clear sound with low latency
- Might be a bit higher in price than expected
- No headphone output for direct monitoring
- Doesn’t have a built-in mute switch
- Industry's first USB studio condenser mic
- Plugs directly into any computer with a USB port
A genuine condenser that you can easily plug and play on your computer, Samson C01UCW is another good USB mic for vocals. It has a hypercardioid pickup pattern which greatly reduces signal and noise at off-axis areas.
With 19 mm diaphragm to achieve pristine and detailed sound quality at 20Hz to 18kHz frequency response range.
Made with diecast construction with heavy gauge mesh grill, you are assured of its quality build. It comes with a swivel mount and a USB cable. So, make great music with rapping using this microphone.
- Delivers excellent
- Uncolored sound
- With convenient USB interface and other useful controls
- No latency problems and priced fairly
- Drivers support stereo pairs
- No 24-bit sampling
- USB cable is quite shorter than standard
- Professional cardioid condenser microphone capsule
- Pure digital connection for pristine sound quality up to 24-bit/ 96kHz
Record anytime and anywhere with Apogee MIC PLUS USB Microphone. It’s a cardioid USB mic with 46dB of mic preamp gain and PureDIGITAL connection, delivering pristine sound quality at 24-bit / 96kHz recording resolution.
Since it’s USB-powered, you don’t need external 48V phantom power and instead connect to Mac or PC right away.
Additionally, you can also use it on mobile recordings through iPhone or iPad touch (but needs USB adapter). It has a ‘Blend’ feature that helps you achieve zero-latency recordings. And, since, it has a headphone output, you’ll be able to monitor your recordings in a real-time manner.
- Fairly easy to use and connect
- Has RAW vocal capabilities
- Which is only offered by high-end mics
- Delivers clear and crisp sounds
- Especially on high-frequency recordings
- Smaller than other mics
- Might not be a good choice for studio recordings
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST USB MICROPHONES FOR RAPPING
You’ve come to this part because you are interested to buy a USB microphone that is fit for rapping. So, we take this opportunity to share with you some guidelines when looking for the ‘one’ for you. These are just a quick guide to give you the idea about the things you might need to look into your next USB mic.
The best polar pattern to be used for rap vocals is cardioid, says Rhyme Makers. It’s very obvious, actually. This is the only pickup pattern that focuses specifically on capturing sound in one direction – your vocals.
If you focus on recording rap vocals or interviews, look for handheld mics, says Sweetwater. And since most USB mics are already compatible with mic stands and shock mounts, you can use it in other purposes like recording while rapping.
As the name suggests, this filter reduces popping noise that is common when you do the rapping. Additionally, this shield also protects your mic from saliva.
Although you can buy it separately, some USB mics like Rode NT-USB already bundled with a pop filter. Buying a mic that includes a pop shield ensures that it’s really compatible with the mic.
Although you can have other ways to monitor your recordings, if you really want to know how you sound when you do rap vocals, it’s very important that your mic has a headphone output. Aside from having zero-latency monitoring, you’ll also know how your vocals and recordings will actually sound as heard by others.
Recording different genre also requires different types of microphone, according to this YouTube video. Do watch this video if you want to know a bit more in choosing the best USB microphone for rapping 2019. Although this video has recommended products, then again, it still boils down to whether this is the best for you or not.
EDITOR’s CHOICE FOR THE BEST USB MICROPHONE FOR RAPPING
While most of the products above are great like the Apogee MiC 96k and Rode NT-USB, Shure PG42-LC might be the best choice for rappers. It has voice-tailored frequency response, in which you can actually get clear highs and strong lows.
It’s important for the mic to have some degree of SPL versatility, with switchable attenuator and high-pass filter. They are just among the features of the Shure PG42-LC. So, if you love our recommendation as well, let us know by leaving your comments below.