Are you planning to make some good music? A synthesizer’s a great way to start, with a lot of features and options to create amazing music. But getting the best synthesizers for beginners is quite confusing with all the brands out there (and it’s quite expensive, too!).
But don’t worry, there are affordable synthesizers with the features you need to get started. Want to learn more? Read on!
5 Best Synthesizers for Beginners (2024 Reviews)
- Korg Digital FM Synthesizer (VOLCAFM)
- Korg microKorg Analog Modeling Synthesizer
- Arturia MicroBrute Analog Synthesizer
- Yamaha REFACE DX Portable FM Synthesizer
- IK Multimedia UNO Synth
With the many expensive synthesizers available today, it can get quite difficult to look for something that’s both adorable and beginner-friendly. It’s the reason why I highly recommend the Korg VOLCAFM Digital FM Synthesizer, which has the compatibility and classy look that makes it the perfect synthesizer beginners can learn from.
The synthesizer is actually great for both pros and beginners. It’s that versatile and accessible, with the portability to bring around for performances and training outside your studio. There are a ton of options and opportunities to use it for, so beginners can tweak this for a long time without getting bored!
- Excellent quality and lots of versatility for pros and beginners to use
- Good appearance and simple construction to last
- Easy to understand and adjust the settings
- Has no slot for external media and memory
- A plastic box may feel cheap for some
The Korg microKorg Analog Modeling Synthesizer is best made for the pros and beginners who know a thing or two about creating music. While it may come at an expensive price tag, it’s the long-term investment you need when you want to take your music seriously for years to come. It has complete accessories and features, which is surprising coming from such a small and compact machine.
It produces the best quality sounds with a lot of effects, along with a couple of great baselines and leads. With so much to offer, you won’t have to worry about running out of things to learn from it!
- Made for beginners and professionals
- Excellent construction and many opportunities to create music with it
- Has the amazing sound quality
- Comes at such an expensive price
- Plastic buttons give it a cheap feel
The Arturia MicroBrute Analog Synthesizer is another excellent choice for those who want to have amazing quality sounds, whether you are a beginner or professional. The keys are just the right size and fit well to your needs, having the many features and versatility to create all the music you want.
It has a solid build and professional body, not feeling cheap at all. It also comes with extremely clean sounds that help improve your music-making, as well as ease of use!
- Very easy to use and setup
- Beautiful and solid build to last
- Extremely clean sound quality
- The base plate isn’t rust-resistant
- Some complaints of small keyboard size
The Yamaha REFACE DX Portable FM Synthesizer is perfect for beginners, coming with expressive and dynamic synthesis and memory locations. It’s easy to spot and control the effects it comes with, as well as the natural performance with built-in keys.
It also has built-in speakers that produce good sound quality, so you’re able to play anytime without the need for headphones. With a trusty company like Yamaha, you can definitely feel and see the quality and ease of use all beginners will appreciate.
- Easy to understand and fun to play with because of its versatility
- Keys are easy to play and with good weighted action and response
- Has built-in speakers to play at home without headphones
- Some complaints about receiving distorted speakers
- Mini keys might not be suitable for those with larger hands
The IK Multimedia UNO Synth is another excellently designed synthesizer for beginners but at a more affordable price compared to other products. You’ll appreciate its great sounds and the quality multimode filters, which offer the amazing music you need when creating your own tunes.
The synth comes with 100 presets, a multi-touch keyboard, and a step sequencer for the complete package. And it’s compatible with many software and your keyboard as well. With its ease of use, powerful programming, and strong engine, you can use this at home or in your next performance!
- Good price with excellent value
- Many features and presets to start making music
- Lightweight and can be brought for performances
- The touchpad isn’t too sensitive
- Some issues with company support
Best Synthesizers for Beginners – A Buying Guide
What should you look into when choosing a synthesizer?
These are the important factors to look into when buying a synthesizer:
Have a Sequencer and Built-In Speaker
I recommend that you get a synth with a sequencer, which helps you write melodies into onboard memory and have you tweak music and add effects easier. You’ll want something with a built-in speaker too, which can help monitor the progress of your tunes.
Analog or Digital?
As a first-timer, I highly recommend that you get an analog synth, which is easier to work and learn from. But if you’re a bit familiar with how it works, you’ll like analog, which has a more authentic sound and feel.
What’s the Size?
This is your personal preference. If you want something portable and to bring around for performances or practice, then a smaller one works. But if you want something comfortable and with more options, a bigger one is good, too!
However, something smaller and complete works best, especially if you have limited space at home.
Here’s a helpful video on choosing your first synthesizer:
Wrapping It Up
While synthesizers are pricey, there’s no need to shell out so much as a beginner yet. The perfect example is the Korg Digital FM Synthesizer, which has easy-to-understand buttons and placements for an amazing time editing and creating music! With its compatibility and easy sound editing, beginners are going to enjoy just how cool making music can be.
Hope you found the right beginner synthesize for you! If you have any questions or want to share your own reviews and experiences, then comment down below. Your thoughts will be much appreciated.