Getting the best saxophone for beginners can be a bit tough, especially when you’re new to music!
I know how that feels because even I was in the same position back then.
That’s why I want to help you out with the research and knowledge I learned when choosing my first beginner saxophone.
So read on to learn all about choosing the best saxophone for you.
5 Best Saxophones for Beginners (2020)
- Eb E-flat bent alto saxophone with high F#.
- Made of bronze, antique finish.Special surface carve pattern design.
It may be tough finding saxophones at affordable prices AND great quality. However, you’ll be impressed with what the ammoon Alto Saxophone has to offer. It includes the excellent and quality accessories, as well as the sturdy construction students and instructors will appreciate.
It has a great feel and all the notes play well, almost as good as pricier alternatives! This is bet because it has the combination of both value and affordability, making it a great first sax for beginners.
- Comes at an affordable price with excellent value and construction
- It’s a great quality sax that sounds similar to intermediate level ones
- Has the solid keyword and centered pads that don’t stick or get loose
- The neck strap and mouthpiece need to be replaced
- There is a weird smell to it that lasts for a few days
- 1 Year Warranty Against Manufacturer's Defects
Mendini is the trusted brand for many kinds of instruments, and the Mendini by Cecilio MTS-BNG+92D Tenor Saxophone is no exception. It’s a great beginner-to-intermediate sax that offers the rich sounds and amazing construction built to last. It even comes with the string tuner with metronome, so you’re able to tune and adjust the tone to your liking!
It has a decent tone and reasonable quality for its price, worth more than what you pay for. And with its attractive design, it can actually be mistaken for a professional model.
- Has the shine and professional look
- Springs are snappy
- Keys are thick and comfortable
- Offers great sound worth more than its price
- The stem of the octave pad is a bit bended
- It’s best to replace the neck strap
Another moderately-priced saxophone suitable for both beginner and the intermediate player is the Etude EAS-100 Student Alto Saxophone. It’s simple yet with the elegant, head-turning design, made of the decent craftsmanship meant for students and beginners.
It’s very easy to play and produces the fantastic tone production for its price and type. Everything works as advertised and is ready to use immediately. It sounds great and is well-built, looking like it can last for long.
- It’s well-constructed and looks like it can last long
- Great sound
- Worthy for lessons and performances
- It can be used for beginner and intermediate players
- The saxophone’s keys may feel a bit too stiff
- There’s no warranty or returns from the company
- Brand: Prelude
- Product Code: AS711
The Prelude Student Model AS711 Alto Saxophone by Conn-Selmer is surprising. When you see its price, you’ll be hesitant (as I was) because of how it’s more expensive than other beginner saxophones. However, its price makes the sax more versatile because of the quality materials and craftsmanship put into it. Not only can beginners use it, but intermediate players for training or live performances!
It offers the great quality recommended by many instructors, producing the rich sounds that work well for bands, orchestras, or when playing for fun.
- Amazing mechanical assembly and build
- Attractive appearance and lacquer finish
- The fantastic sound which can be used for lessons and live performances
- Difficult to play with original mouthpiece requires replacement
- The tone isn’t uniform for all registers
- Includes deluxe case, neck strap, mouthpiece, ligature, reed and cap
- Easy-action springs
The Hawk WD-S411C-NK Tenor Saxophone is a step up from your typical beginner sax. When you first receive it, you’ll immediately notice how beautiful and attractive it looks with its cool nickel finish. When playing it, it has the easy-action springs, easy-to-play keys, and the leather pads that make it feel comfortable.
It also sounds as good as it feels, producing the good sound like a tenor sax. As long as it’s well-cared for, it’s a great sax to use for both learning and performing.
- Attractive color and design
- Easy to play and comfortable to use
- Fine tone great for beginners
- Nickel finish wears off if not cared for properly
- Replacement parts are difficult to find
How to Choose the Best Saxophone for Beginners
If you want to learn all about choosing the best starter saxophone for you, these are the important factors:
Type of Saxophone
There are different types of saxophones to choose from, depending on the tone and shape. The alto is best suited for beginners, as it’s small and compact, requiring less air (which is best for those starting out).
The important accessories of a sax should be included, which are the:
- Reed which makes the sound through vibrations
- Mouthpiece to indicate the type of sound produced
- Ligature which holds the sax reed to the mouthpiece
Make sure that you select a sax that includes these three in quality build.
Material and Finish
This is a crucial factor which makes or break both the lifespan and tone of your sax. Yellow brass is the most normal, with a different lacquer finish for better design. The material and finish you choose may affect the sound, too!
To learn more about the saxophone, this is a helpful video to check out:
What is the best beginner saxophone?
You don’t need to spend thousands of dollars on a saxophone when you’re just starting out.
With the ammoon Alto Saxophone, you’ll be able to learn the ropes and have the beautiful instrument to start off your musical journey with, and it’s our #1 choice for the best beginner saxophone. Because of its comfortable keys and the complete price, this bronze-plated saxophone is worth the investment with the beautiful sound quality for its price!
I hope that you found the best saxophone for a beginner thanks to my article! So start looking into these reviews and tips to find your perfect instrument now. And if you want to share your comments, do so below!
Today’s deals on our top pick