To put it in simple term, from the name itself, this means to remove some of the signal’s dynamic range to achieve the exact tone of music you want.
Compressor pedals can make louder notes quieter and otherwise.
It’s very useful, especially when you want to emulate some classic sounds like rock and roll, etc.
Without further ado, here’s a list of best compressor pedals for your guitar.
7 Best Compressor Pedals For Guitar (2019 Beginner’s Guide)
Without further ado, we’ll introduce you to the best of the best compressor pedals in the market.
We know that choosing one in thousands of compressors available is a headache.
So, we’ve trimmed down the list and come up with the following:
- The CS-3 Compression Sustainer pedal compresses louder signals while boosting lower signals.
- Guitar Pedal
Consistency is the key for a better compression of sounds. This is what Boss CS-3 Compressor gives you.
It’s a compressor-sustainer combo that makes you feel excited while playing.
The compression is very responsive, allowing you to maximize the controls and effects you’re going to put on to your music.
You can minimize, one thing and boost the other without any problem.
There’s no lag and it’s very reliable. The tone knob is versatile and much appreciated by buyers. With practice and using it every day, you’ll easily get the hang of it.
- Great construction, extremely durable build
- Tone knob is reliable, the level knob is necessary for noise control
- Doesn’t give much sustain
- Generates more background noise
- Get super-smooth compression and endless sustain
- This BEHRINGER product has been designed to compete head to head with leading products on the market
- Compress loud and boost low signals without degrading the original sound
- Dedicated Level, Tone, Attack and Sustain controls for awesome sound shaping
- Status LED for effect on/off and battery check
Talking about quality at an affordable price, you’re referring to the Behringer products. And, among the most talked-about and reliable compressors is the Behringer CS400 Compressor.
You got the usual controls on this fella – the Level, Tone, Attack and Sustain.
The highlight of this thing is the sustain. It feels so abundant and natural.
This small thing won’t distort your sound, giving you fine and clear outputs. You can pick your color from the array of blue, black and white color options.
- Very affordable gear that gives you more
- Has a great and appealing design, doesn’t look cheap
- No distortion, you’ll only get clear sounds
- Might be quite noisy
- Plastic case is not sturdy
- Classic optical compression
- Preserves the original signal transients
- Full metal shell
- Very small and exquisite - Great for conserving pedal board space!
Looking for classic compression? The Mooer MCS2 Yellow Compression is the one that you’re looking for.
It’s very good at preserving the original signals while bringing out the best-compressed output.
This only features a volume control, compression and EQ parameter.
However, its simplicity makes it very useful for other genres, such as metal, rock, and country. Another selling point of this thing is its very low price.
- Durable full metal casing and reliable constructions
- Has true bypass for much greater effect
- Limited controls on board
- It can’t be powered by a 9-V battery, you need an adapter
- In-line compressor "evens out" the signal to your amplifier
- Useful for increased sustain with stable dynamics
- Nashville studio standard
- Power: Dunlop ECB003 AC Adapter or Single 9 volt battery
- Constant output signal
One of the most popular compressor pedals of all time, you can’t go wrong with the MXR M102 Dyna Comp. This small thing can produce percussive and clicky sound. The control knob is simple, yet very intuitive.
Since this has long been trusted by professional, there is no doubt of its quality and durability. It has a great sustain to back up your lead tones.
The pedal effect won’t overshadow your sound, but simply enhancing it.
Therefore, you’ll get the classics as well as modern sounds combined using this versatile compressor pedal.
- Great sustain and sound dynamics
- Control knobs are so easy to use
- Not efficient hardware bypass configuration
- Might be a bit noisy
- All Analog Signal Path
- Extremely Transparent
- 3 Compression Ratios
- Attack and Release Control
- Blend uncompressed signal
If you are looking for a full-packed compressor pedal, the Empress Effects Compressor is the one that you need.
It allows you to achieve a clean, clear and transparent sound, even when you got uncompressed signal input.
Its design is pretty simple, allowing you to switch from one functionality to another, pretty easily.
Empress Effects is even tagged as a “studio grade compressor.” So, from these words, you are assured that to have this tool with you is like having the best armor in battle.
Aside from the regular compression controls almost every single compressor have, you can adjust the input level and output level separately.
This will enable you to achieve the sound you like easily.
- Comes with three reliable compression ratios
- Provides clear, clean and enhanced sound
- Comes with accurate and easily adjustable controls
- A little bit pricey, but has a lot of gimmicks
- Control legends, maybe a bit hard to see
- Studio-quality Multiband Compressor
- Vintage Mode for classic stompbox compression
- TonePrint enabled - for a world of signature and customizable effects
- True or Buffered Bypass
This is one of the most versatile compressor pedals you can have today. It’s packed with Tone Print Technology.
This feature allows you to edit certain parameters to maximize tone compression.
It fuses the modern look of all-digital display in the vintage setting of this compressor. It’s extremely simple and has a built-in limiter for squashed compression tones.
The multi-band compressor works well to give a more natural sounding compression.
Since this is digital, you can download popular pedal setups to learn at your own pace.
Furthermore, the footswitch is very comfortable. Hence, changing between switches just comes a breeze.
- Versatile Tone Print functionality
- Produces beautifully clear sound
- Flexible comes with a blend control to keep your dry signal in your mix
- Not plug-and-play friendly
- Adds noticeable gain, makes it harder to dial in clean tones
- Takes time to access the custom tones
- A re-creation of the classic Ross compressor, with very low noise.
- Use the Sustain, Attack, and Level knobs to find your ideal tone.
- The Attack is especially designed for Bass or high-output active pickup.
- True bypass design minimizes tone loss.
- Package inclued: 1 * Effect Pedal
If you are on a budget, yet want to do compression, Joyo JF-10 is the best for you. You can get the quality compression you need without breaking the bank.
It’s simple, very user-friendly and offers features like cutting a wide range of frequencies out of your music.
It’s not cheaply built. Rather, it’s one of the most reliable compressor pedals on the market, far better than pricier compressor.
This compact device helps you find your ideal tones, trim the unwanted ones and help you achieve the clearest compression as possible.
It comes with a wide variety of tones that helps keep your song on fire. This is indeed a perfect tool for anyone, especially those who are on a budget.
- Very attractive design, durable
- Small, compact, and functional
- Perfect for budget buyers and helps find ideal tones
- Lacks variety of colors available
- No threshold knob, so it’s impossible to dial in a sound
Surely, you’ve already chosen a compressor pedal that is perfect for the kind of music you are making.
So now, it’s up to you to maximize this tool to have a very interesting effect in your music. I really recommend getting the Boss CS-3 Compressor for your guitar effect needs.
Again, having the best tool is one thing, but knowing how to maximize even the simple features of the instrument can be a great deal.
Therefore, it’s very important that before buying any tool or add-on accessories, you know when to use it and how to use it best. In this manner, not only will you be able to get what you want, you’ll also have what you badly needed.
Do you agree with the list? Let me know by leaving your comments below!